LWRCA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LWRCA

Options
diddy007
diddy007 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

Dies anyone know if the LWRCA payment is means tested? I presumed it was. The reason I ask is that I am looking to draw down pensions and this will be taxed and classed as earnings? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LCWRA is part of UC it’s not a benefit on it own. UC is means tested. 

Pension lump sums are classed as savings. If this brings your total savings/capital to more than £6,000 there’s a £4.35/month deduction for every £250 or part thereof over that amount. Savings of more than £16,000 means no entitlement to any means tested benefits.

Pension weekly/month income is classed as “other income” not earnings. This means that a weekly/monthly income from a pension will reduce your UC £1 for £1. For this reason it’s pointless doing this. 

If you’re claiming council tax reduction some local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to CTR ends. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • diddy007
    diddy007 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Poppy Thankyou

This help. I was taking pension due to illness having had cancers and other illness. In terms of pensions being other income and not earnings, can CSA include pensions other income in their calculations? 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CSA? Do you mean CMS? (child maintenance support) if so then I’m afraid i can’t advise with that. I’d advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cazag62
    cazag62 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    Hi can anyone help I got awarded Lwrca today the 30/01/2024 my first sick note was 25/08/2023 will I get back pay .i get uc on the 18th of each month
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your sick notes were continuous until you got today's decision, then there's a full 3 months waiting period (Sept - Oct, Oct - Nov & Nov -Dec) before the extra LCWRA element is paid. This would be for your assessment period 12 Dec - 11 Jan), but, as this is paid in arrears, your 1st LCWRA element is from 18 Jan 2024, so you'll receive backpay from that date. This so long as you don't live with a partner that already claims LCWRA.
  • cazag62
    Options
    Thank you I live alone so I will get 1 months back pay
  • cazag62
    Options
    All confusing to me sorry x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.