Remembrance Day / Poppy Day — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remembrance Day / Poppy Day

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,062 Disability Gamechanger

I thought if it’s OK I would make a thread to cover Remembrance Day / Poppy Day / Remembrance Sunday etc. and have a general discussion around it.

Royal British Legion is one of the few charities I support aside from Scope, Air Ambulance, maybe a couple of others. These are charities that I think in all honesty, in a fair society, should not need to exist in the first place. However given the society we do have... I am grateful they do exist.

I like hearing tales from people from a military background as I find them fascinating…don’t have many stories from my own family as the only family member who I knew that served didn’t really talk about it. Would have loved to have done something in that field myself, ideally a pilot, sadly my health put a stop to any ideas.

Anyway this thread is about Remembrance Day and for people to share any relevant thoughts they have.

Looking forward to hearing peoples contributions!

Comments

• Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for starting this thread @66Mustang

I have family who served and I discovered more members through my ancestry research. It's a shame I can't know more about those family members who served in World War Two but I understand why there is a 100 year privacy law. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Maybe in a couple of decades you will be able to go back and see @Hannah_Scope :)
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,140 Disability Gamechanger
    There are a few records I can apply for through the records office which I may do. Some after World War Two which I am unsure if I could have access to. Would have to research more on that.

You've also reminded me that I need to pick up a Poppy.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,294 Disability Gamechanger
    For our todays they gave their tomorrows.

Lest we forget. 

Wear your poppy with pride.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,393 Disability Gamechanger
              My granddad served in the 1st world war and my father in the 2nd. I never knew my granddad sadly so I know little about his service, only he was one of the lucky ones that made it home.

My father on the other hand told me stories that he turned into a positive, some quite amusing. It wasn't until I was older I realised he shielded me from the truth and he couldn't tell me what he really saw, it was too horrific  a memory. Not many could tell the tale, and knowing now what I do I'm glad he never told me. 
            He took his memories to the grave, but he never forgot his comrades that didn't return home.

I recently gave my grandson their medals in a frame so he will learn and never forget.

To each and everyone that gave their life so I can live mine I thank you.
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2023
    @vikingqueen they call it the dark sense of humour I think, a way of coping, family members in the police and NHS have it, I imagine it's the same for army folk just 10 times deeper

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.