Decision maker — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Decision maker

loubutton77 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All,, 
We were asked to verify a child living with us as he is on a 50 50 living arrangement but my partner gets CB for him and has a mediation document to say that he will claim all related benefits for this child and mum the 2nd child. Turns out mum was doing both so was sent to a decision maker. Does anyone know roughly how long decision makers take as its been almost 3 months and they just keep saying its been looked at. 
Many thanks


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 1,481 Scope online community team
    Hi there @loubutton77 and a big welcome to the community! 

    Unfortunately I can't give you a firm answer on this, sometimes it could take a few weeks, others a few months.  Hopefully a regular will be a long shortly with some better answers. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no timescales. All you can do is put a message onto your journal and ask if a decision has been made on the child element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.