Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

p.i.p going outside and agoroophobia

Options
pete33
pete33 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited November 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i read on an article that people on pip are due backpayments if they have agoraphobia and find it hard making a journey, I have a long term mental health condition was just wondering is it worth claiming, I am on both the lower rates of p.i.p.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,137 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pete33 - & welcome to the community. I think what you're referring to doesn't specifically mention agoraphobia, rather 'overwhelming psychological distress.' There's been a change in law about 'planning & following a journey,' which may affect PIP claimants if they have had a decision on or after 28 Nov 2016. It seems the DWP say they will be contacting those claimants they feel may have been affected by this change of law; not everyone would be due a backpayment. You can read about it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

• pete33
    Options
    thank you so much @chiarieds all I know is I scored 10 and it said on my claim would cause overwhelming psycological distress, I got put on lower for getting around does this change anything? am I entitled to higher mobility
  • chiarieds
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The descriptors that are in question are these for 'planning & following a journey'
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant 10 points.
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid 12 points
    The tribunals who helped change the law concerning this said that if e. applies (where you were awarded 10 points), then f. can't apply (as you don't go on any journey the majority of days even with the help of another person).
    So, sorry, currently this couldn't change your mobility component to the enhanced rate.

• pete33
    Options
    thank you @chiarieds I find this stuff hard to work out, thank you for your time, just wondering if it causes me overwhelming distress who would actually be entitled to enhanced? what would there situation be would they need to score 12 under the rule change?
  • pete33
    Options
    I say this is I looked up the descriptors and points and Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. scores both 10 and 12 points unless the information is dated?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,835 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,384 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    If you scored 10 points for being unable to undertake any journey because of overwhelming psychological distress then i'm afraid you will not qualify for Enhanced mobility. 

Chiarieds is correct here, A claimant that satisfies 1E can not satisfy 1F.

The rule changes do not apply here. A person maybe entitled to Enhanced under following and planning a journey if they can't follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistant dog or orientation aid.

If you're unable to go out the majority of the time, even with another person then 1E is correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pete33
    Options
    @poppy123456 @chiarieds o@woodbine ok thank you all for your time much appreciated :)
  • chiarieds
    Options
    It's a case of either one or the other applies; either descriptor e. or f. In your case it's descriptor e.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.