Budget friendly tips to keep warm this winter. Can you add any more? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Budget friendly tips to keep warm this winter. Can you add any more?

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,548 Scope online community team
As Summer waves goodbye and the cold starts creeping in, I thought it would be nice to put together some top tips on ways of making sure you stay warm this winter. This is all leading on from this post written by the Scope team on getting ready for Winter. 

1. Bleeding your radiators
This may sound like a form of medieval torture, but bleeding your radiators is a very overlooked way of saving money on your heating. It involves removing air that could stop the hot water from filling the radiator. Information on how to do this can be found here and is really simple to do. 

2. Use radiator foil
Many houses or flats have radiators mounted on exterior walls, so heat gets lost quickly that way. So to help stop this, pop some foil behind the radiator to help reflect all that heat back into the room. You can buy special radiator foil cheaply, or you can create your own using tin foil and some cardboard. 

3. Draught excluders on doors
Even if your room is toasty warm, due to the scientific principle called "The Stack Effect" cold air will be pulled in from outside as the hot air rises. So to stop this, make sure you're stopping that cold air from coming in under the bottom of doors with draught excluders. This is especially useful if you're only keeping one room heated.

4. Double lined curtains/ roller blinds
Double lined or thick curtains can save you a ton of money by stopping that warm air from escaping and also stopping that cold air from getting in. If it's sunny, keep your curtains open, then close them as it starts to get dark to take full advantage of natures radiator in the sky. 

5. Leave the oven door slightly open after cooking
Another overlooked tip. When you've finished cooking, if it's safe to do so, leave the oven door ajar and help all that warm air escape into the room. But please don't do this if you have animals or children around. Safety first. (Remember this can be very dangerous, so please be extra careful)

There's just a couple of my top tips, I'll post more soon.  

Can you think of any more? 
Have you found ways of warming your house or yourself, for less that you've seen in the media?

Let us know!
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.