Gap between new fit note and old one — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gap between new fit note and old one

Options
Commanded2bwell
Commanded2bwell Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
edited November 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello. I'm awaiting my work capability assessment. In the meantime, I'm submitting fit notes as I'm on the "health journey". (That's a direct quote from my work coach. Who thinks of these things?)

My old fit note expired on the 5th, which as you'll no doubt recall was a Sunday. I requested a new note but my health centre is slow to respond and makes you use an electronic system. Anticipating a delay, I confirmed with them on the phone that the new note would be backdated to dovetail with the old one. They said this was fine.

I received my new fit note today. It starts on the 8th. It was not backdated.

Does this mean the Job Centre will consider that I was legally fit for work for two days? Will they reject the new note? I've submitted it, but have not yet had a reply, and may not until next week. I'm asking this now because if I need to start badgering the health centre, I haven't got any time to waste, given how long it takes them to respond!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You won’t be found fit for work because if the gap in your fit note. A fit note isn’t proof you have LCW anyway. 

Your GP should have started the new fit note from when the previous one ended so it’s odd they didn’t do that. 

Although it’s only a few days, gaps can affect when the LCWRA is paid from, if you’re found to have this. For this reason I’d advise you to speak to your GP to get a fit note for the gap and hopefully reporting it late won’t impact the waiting period for LCWRA, if awarded. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Commanded2bwell
    Commanded2bwell Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Spoke to my GP today. He said the incorrect date was a clerical error on his part and has issued me a new one. By the time this happened, the Job Centre had left a message saying they had accepted my explanation for the two day gap between the old and new fit notes, and thus no further action was needed. So, I have the corrected fit note, and have informed me via the journal of this, but don't know if they'll ask for it.

However, now I wonder if this will bite me further down the line as I've read something about it affecting the extra payment you can get if awarded LCWRA, probably to do with getting any backpay that may be owed. But I've also read that there is a four month period from the date you submit your UC50 during which you can't receive any backpay... so maybe it won't affect me, as this gap will occur right in the middle of that four month period.

Phew... I'm sure life was simpler, once. Then someone invented the wheel and then the silicon chip and then it was all downhill, from there!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes gaps in fit notes can affect when the extra money is paid from if found to have LCWRA. Although they accepted your fit note when you submitted it, it will be down to a decision maker to decide whether to accept it when working out when the extra money is paid from. Hopefully there will be no issues. 

Your thoughts on when the waiting period starts from aren’t correct. It’s starts from when you reported your health condition. Providing you sent a fit note within 7 days of that and continued to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your WCA. Not from when you sent the UC50 form back. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.