Closing UC claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Closing UC claim

helloh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my partner may be moving in with me soon and I get a top up universal credit as I work full time. My wages per year are £24,000 and my partner earns £33,000 per year. I have used a benefits calculator and as a couple we would not be entitled to universal credit. Can I just close my claim? There seems no benefit to keeping the claim open. If I do close my claim, what's the process to do this? Thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,772 Disability Gamechanger
    You can just keep it open and it will just close after 6 months of zero payments. 

    Or to close your claim log into your journal, if you have one. Click “home” and then scroll down the list to the bottom and  click “request to close your claim” 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,954 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @helloh

    Just wanted to welcome you to the community! :) You'll have to let us know how the moving in goes if your partner does! 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.