Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Mobility scooters or wheelchairs

Options
andreajane
andreajane Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I have grade 4 osteoarthritis in both knees and walking is a real struggle now. 
Would u recommend a mobility scooter or wheelchair and does anyone know how I go about getting one? Are there charities that donate them as money is really tight. 
Thanks for listening 
Andrea (54 yr old from slough)

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @andreajane and firstly, welcome to the community! How are you today?

Are you currently claiming any benefits? I know you have access to Motobility with enhanced mobility rate PIP or DLA.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • andreajane
    andreajane Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    No just PIP enhanced  and standard DLa
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 524 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi Andrea Jane!

Would really be best for you to go & test both, as they're very different & you may feel more comfortable in one style over the other. I've had both, but prefer a powered wheelchair. Also, wheelchairs can travel on public busses, only class two scooters can, so that could come into it too.

Sorry, I don't know about grants. You can get either style if you want to use your PIP to get a new one. Or, once you've tried them in a showroom & have a better idea of what would suit you, look for decent secondhand. I had to replace mine & got the replacement secondhand, all good.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.