NIL SSP but annual leave paid- ESA Claim refused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NIL SSP but annual leave paid- ESA Claim refused

Options
SA2018
SA2018 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys.

I am supporting a family member with a new claim for new style ESA. 
He has been on long term sick and is very much physically disabled and so will be dismissed with a form of compensation. 

I applied for ESA thinking that due to SSP Payments coming to an end in April 23, he would be entitled to apply.

However his claim has been rejected and subsequently he has had a letter from his employer, who is HMRC (he worked as a VAT advisor). They state sickness absence from 08/04 to 04/06 nil pay, then annual leave paid 05/06-25/06, and then another sickness absence with nil pay from 26/09-3rd/09, then annual leave 04/09 to 17/09. And then it says 18/09 to 371 days sickness absence nil pay. If you remain unwell your SSP will end on 28th Sept 2023

Is this correct that due to the small amounts of annual leave in between his entitlement for ESA is not allowed. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It will be nothing to do with annual leave. To be entitled to payments of New style ESA you need to have the correct NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. Working as PAYE then it would be class 1 they need. 

You said they’ve received zero earnings from 18/09 for 371 days so it’s likely this that means there’s no entitlement to any payments.

When ESA refused the claim which tax year did he fail on? Was it 2020/21 or 2021/22? 

Have they used a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? If he lives with a partner they will need to claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If they have savings/capital of more than £16,000 they are excluded from claiming. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.