Lost my esa due to getting inheritance money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost my esa due to getting inheritance money

nadekrkr Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I got 30k in inheritance and lost my esa benefits, I have a disability which means I won’t ever be able to work. I’ve heard this money has to last me 5 years, is that true? Or would I be able to apply for esa again when I get to 16k. Or do they automatically give it back when you’re back to under 16k?



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,878 Disability Gamechanger
    There’s no definite amount of time you have to wait before reclaiming means tested benefits. 

    What they may ask for is bank statements to see where the money was spent. If you bought the most expensive things in order to reduce your savings to reclaim benefits then yes they may ask questions. It will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision.

    As your ESA stopped completely then you will not be able to reclaim it because new claims for Income Related ESA are no longer possible. 

    The only ESA possible is New style ESA and you will need to have worked at some point in the last 2 tax years. 

    You will need to claim Universal Credit. Once your money goes below £16,000 then you can claim. There will be a deduction of £4.35/month for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. 

    If you need to claim for council tax reduction then you will need to check your local Authority because some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 and there will be no entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.