New Style esa, uc and lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style esa, uc and lcwra

dreamwarrior Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm new to all this benefit stuff. Fell ill in July 2023 with undiagnosed (still) vasovagal syncope. As I was self employed was advised to apply for new style ESA which I did, Was then advised to apply for UC. I've been awarded LCWRA but I have some confusion if I need to cancel the ESA and just stay with UC, or is there benefits to keep the ESA. I've had nothing to indicate I'm in the support group for ESA as yet  but getting the back pay for lcwra today via UC. I'm aware the money received is just countered out £1 per £1 depending on the benefit received.

 Another issue I have is because I go randomly unconscious up to 8 times a day my wife is there to safeguard me, was refused daily PIP but got enhanced mobility. So my wife cant claim carers allowance, I only got 4 points so is it worth the hassle and stress of MR and appeal. My wife is with me most of the time but UC say she has to find work, despite having a fit note stating carer strain. If she has to find a job and to work I'm basically risking my life on my own. Citizens advice was to write to my MP. 
I would be grateful for any help and advise on what's best to do. Thanks.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,767 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s definitely worth continuing with both benefits because the ESA isn’t means tested. So if circumstances change in the future and you’re no longer entitled to UC then the ESA can continue. Savings/capital, working partner and pensions of up to £85/week do not affect the amount you’re entitled to. You will also receive class 1 NI credits for ESA but only class 3 for UC.

    You will be placed into the Support Group for ESA and your money will increase from the 14th week of your claim to £129.50/week. However, ESA and UC don’t often communicate so you may need to contact ESA to tell them the UC decision. 

    For your PIP if the decision was made less than 13 months ago and you think you can score enough points for a daily living award then yes you should challenge that decision. If you’re outside of the 1 month timeframe you will need to tell them why you’re late requesting it. 

    I’d advise you to have a look at this link to try to have a little more understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. You can then decide if it’s possible to score more points.

    If you think you can then you need to put the request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Please do not ring to request it.

    I would say it’s unlikely that a fit note would be accepted for caring duties. Your partner can try explaining to their work coach about your health conditions and the care that you need to see if they can reduce their commitments. It will be down the the discretion of the work coach. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dreamwarrior
    dreamwarrior Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for the advise, We have just sent off the Mr highlighting the parts wrong in our opinion. I have been in contact with esa and I am in the support group. Citizens advise rang today and said they would put me with an advisor if needed to go to tribunal and they advised us to contact social services for a care and need assesment, 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.