Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Giving up work.

Kel2506 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. I am unfortunately considering giving up work due to my job involves my being on my feet literally all day along with heavy lifting, my workplace is very fast paced and incredibly stress full which causes me 'flair ups'.
I suffer from fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, plantar fasciitis, and i have a vitamin deficiency along with long term anxiety and depression. I am currently waiting for a decision regarding my recent PIP claim and I'm currently receiving ssp but however cannot remain on ssp forever and need some help/advice on what next steps i should/could take regarding giving up work. 
How and when should i inform my employer ?
How and when can i apply for ESA ect. 


  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kel2506

    Welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear that you have been so unwell. I would inform your employer when you feel ready. I know it can be hard resigning whether you were to move onto PIP / ESA or not. I once resigned to move onto another job and telling my employer was still nerve-wracking! 

    I would encourage you to look at the benefit calculators to see what support you could get. It may help you with your decision. 

    Can your employer help with workplace adjustments? or even if you were to go part time? 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,000 Disability Gamechanger
    When I had to give up work my attitude was "health before wealth", if your PIP claim is recent you could have some weeks or months to wait for an assessment/decision (but you never know) Hannahs advice to check benefit calculators is sound.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,266 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP will not be paid forever anyone and the maximum time it can be paid for is 28 weeks.

    You can apply for New style ESA 3 months before the SSP is due to end. You will need your SSP1 form and a fit note to claim it. If you have the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be entitled to payments. You can't be paid ESA until SSP ends.

    It's paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain entitled to it.

    You can also use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.

    If you claim both benefits together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

    One thing i would never advise is to quit work before getting some expert advice. ACAS are usually good with things like that.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.