LCWRA Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA Help

Options
L33roy
L33roy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,
I've a question and I'm hoping someone can explain it as I can't make sense of it sorry, hear goes I currently claim ESA and I've just been awarded LCWRA I have a UC account still open but I only get the LCWRA as with getting ESA, now ESA have put me in the support group so the payment I receive is £259 every two weeks and the LCWRA is £390 every fourth week, on my statement every time they do an assessment they add the UC element and LCWRA element together which is £368 plus £390 equals £758 they then take the ESA I have received in that assessment which will be the £259 twice so that's £561 which leaves me with a payment of £140 as I have some deductions for the rest that's missing, so I have been told that my LCWRA shouldn't be deducted with me getting ESA support group so it caused abit of confusion and I'm hoping someone can explain it for me thanks in advance.
Lee

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,944 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    You were advised incorrectly i'm afraid. When claiming ESA as well as UC the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. ESA is a weekly benefit, paid fortnightly. UC is a monthly benefit. To work out the deductions for UC you do the following. £129.50 x 52 = £6,734 divided by 12 = £561.16/month.

The deduction for your ESA reduces your whole UC amount and not just part of it. If your UC doesn't include help with any rent and you're a single person aged 25 or over then your UC maximum entitlement will be as follows.
    Standard allowance (25 and over) £368.74
    LCWRA element £390.06
    Total UC before deductions =£758.80 - £561.16 for ESA.
    Total UC payable £197.64/month (unless there's deductions for something else)  then the ESA of £259/fortnight.

UC tops up your income, without this you would just be receiving £259/fortnight.

Edit cross posted with Adrian. :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,089 Scope online community team
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hello @L33roy and welcome to the community. :) 

Who told you that LCWRA shouldn't be deducted? I think they've maybe misunderstood what's happening.

As you are claiming ESA as well as Universal Credit, you are what is known as a 'dual claimant'.

ESA is classed as an overlapping benefit so is deducted in full from your Universal Credit. This is taken from your total award, not a specific part. 

So it sounds as though your claim is correct. Your UC includes your standard allowance and extra for LCWRA. And as you're getting ESA alongside UC, they deduct the full amount of ESA from your total UC award.

Edit to add: I didn't spot Poppy's detailed response before I replied, thank you Poppy. I hope we've been able to help you @L33roy but please ask if you have any other questions. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,944 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Edit to add: I didn't spot Poppy's detailed response before I replied, thank you Poppy. I hope we've been able to help you @L33roy but please ask if you have any other questions. 

No worries, same here. I didn't see your response until after i posted. Looks like we posted within seconds of each other. Thankfully, our advice was the same :)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L33roy
    L33roy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Thank you for your quick responses to my question, that clears up the confusion thank you once again 
    Regards 
    Lee
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,089 Scope online community team
    Options
    You're welcome @L33roy. Have a great day and please let us know if we can help with anything else.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.