Paid by mistake by work, will it affect ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paid by mistake by work, will it affect ESA

Options
Hiya,
I've just joined as I am looking for help and advice really.

I have been on long term sick for almost a year.
My employer refuses to change my role due to my disability, instead they are waiting for an eligibility review for income protection to take place.
As I exceeded SSP, I got accepted onto ESA.
My employer has previously overpaid me, and put me into a debt with them but I wasn't claiming ESA then.

And just this week, they have overpaid me, I am presuming by mistake as I had told them to consider me on sick until until I agree a return date.
I only received in my account just over £600 as the rest went to paying the previous over paid amounts. 
As they have paid me, and I am claiming ESA - what do I need to do if anything? How will this affect my claim?

I will be taking legal advice on my whole situation but feel this is almost the last straw with them. I have a baby, and childcare costs get a reduction because I am on ESA  and can be stopped too.

Any advice would be great thanks in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,399 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    You need to find out what the pay is for. If it's income protection, I've found a thread on Rightsnet that may help answer your questions. Please have a read. https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/10786/#51066

If it's earnings or holiday pay then because you're not currently working then it won't affect your ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • FrustratedBones
    FrustratedBones Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    You need to find out what the pay is for. If it's income protection, I've found a thread on Rightsnet that may help answer your questions. Please have a read. https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/10786/#51066

If it's earnings or holiday pay then because you're not currently working then it won't affect your ESA.

Thanks Poppy. Thats an interesting post as it seems to indicate that even when If I do start to receive GIP that I may still be able to also receive ESA.
    I am waiting on a  decision for the GIP that should come very soon.

In the meantime I need to try and find some free legal advice!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,399 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes that maybe the case. Although it’s complicated so for that I’d advise you to get some advice from an agency near you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @FrustratedBones

Welcome to the community! :) Please keep us updated. You could always reach out to Citizen's Advice to help support you. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.