Government plans sickness — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Government plans sickness

Options
Cplife
Cplife Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
Hi could someone put my at rest please the governments plans to get disabled people off the sick what does this mean for me I have cerebral palsy osteoarthritis and was diagnosed with ADHD last year I also suffer with anxiety I feel this would really upset me because I struggle every day with pain and tiredness and anxiety I don’t take anything for my ADHD because of other medical issues 
im 53 and ageing with cerebral palsy is proving to be difficult and tiring thanks 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Cplife, I understand your concerns here, but currently there's nothing set in stone yet.  It's currently just an idea, so please try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Cplife
    Options
    @Albus_Scope  
    Thank you was watching I think it’s Jeremy hunt talking about it on tv. The government haven’t got a clue I’ve lost count of the amount of times medicals to prove I’m disabled they are very degrading the last one they took my mobility off me I appealed and got it restated again but all this stuff doesn’t sit well with my ADHD brain thanks for the reply 😊
  • Becky93
    Becky93 Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    Options
    All changes of this type will take so long to implement that the current government will be long out of power before they happen, so I really wouldn't worry about it. These types of changes are very much cross that bridge when it gets to it, because they often never do.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In recent days there has been talk about cuts to benefits, the fact is that benefits will on Weds be increased by 4.6% and not the 6.7% originally planned, this increase will be from next April when its possible inflation will be as low as 3%.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Becky93
    Becky93 Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options
    ITV seem to think the government won't do this and benefits will go up 6.7%.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-11-20/pm-likely-to-uprate-benefits-and-keep-pension-triple-lock-itv-news-understands

It was probably just the usual float out ideas, see what the reaction is, then backtrack when they saw the reaction was bad.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    There's a lot of different possibilities being talked about, but we'll hopefully know a bit more about it all on Wednesday when they release the Autumn Statement.

I know it's difficult, but if the news is really distressing you, maybe you could try to take a bit of time away from reading or watching things discussing the changes. Not easy when it feels like it's all over the internet and TV, but perhaps worth a try :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cplife
    Options
    thanks everyone for your reply it means a lot to get support when things are getting to you 😊

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.