ESA closed, opened Universal Credit but lost disability premiums — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA closed, opened Universal Credit but lost disability premiums

Options
nciae7777
nciae7777 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I was on income related esa and after a very bad experience, I was wrongly incarcerated in custody for 2 weeks in remand. 

After being released, I realised my esa was closed and I needed to apply for universal credit. 

I was receiving disability premiums, sdp and I think enhanced or standard disability premium. After opening my uc account late due to mental health state at the time, I was advised that I was not entitled to Transitional Protection(bevause it was not within a month of opening my uc claim). I therefore appealed the universal credit to have it back dated and it was granted by a decision maker. It is now within 1 month of the esa claim being closed and now a benefits adviser told me , makes me me entitled to the transitional protection payments.

However, after requesting / applying for the transitional payments and asking for my uc claim to now be linked to the esa claim , I have been told there are different rules which apply because I was in custody? "Because I was not forced to migrate to uc"  Surely this cannot be correct? Am I wrong or is the universal credit case manager wrong? 

Please help and advise what I can do. I had the health assesment on uc, and they eventually put me on lcwra but I lost out on 5 or 6 months of higher sdp esa payments until the point they started paying me lwrca universal credit. This is why I am trying to get them to link the claims and award me transitional protection. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Comments

• nciae7777
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I was on income related esa and after a very bad experience, I was wrongly incarcerated in custody for 2 weeks in remand. Please don't judge me without knowing me.

After being released, I realised my esa was closed and I needed to apply for universal credit. 

I was receiving disability premiums, sdp and I think enhanced or standard disability premium. After opening my uc account late due to mental health state at the time, I was advised that I was not entitled to Transitional Protection(bevause it was not within a month of opening my uc claim). I therefore appealed the universal credit to have it back dated and it was granted by a decision maker. It is now within 1 month of the esa claim being closed and now a benefits adviser told me , makes me me entitled to the transitional protection payments.

However, after requesting / applying for the transitional payments and asking for my uc claim to now be linked to the esa claim , I have been told there are different rules which apply because I was in custody? "Because I was not forced to migrate to uc"  Surely this cannot be correct? Am I wrong or is the universal credit case manager wrong? 

Please help and advise what I can do. I had the health assesment on uc, and they eventually put me on lcwra but I lost out on 5 or 6 months of higher sdp esa payments until the point they started paying me lwrca universal credit. This is why I am trying to get them to link the claims and award me transitional protection. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the case manager is wrong here. If your UC was backdated to within 28 days of your ESA ending then you should have been entitled to the SDP Transitional protection of £313.79/month. 

However, because your ESA ended you would not have been entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. The waiting period was correct. 

Once the LCWRA element was included in your claim this would have eroded the TP so you would have only been entitled to an extra £76.37/month. 

You were still worse off when you claimed UC because they didn’t include the TP. 

I’d advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration on the decision not to include this at the start of your claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @nciae7777, sorry this has happened to you.

I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice to share, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community. I have moved your post over to our UC section where more members with the right experiences can see it. Hopefully they'll be along shortly to offer some advice and support.

I hope things get cleared up for you soon :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Copy of post here, which Poppy has replied to.
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks for flagging @Albus_Scope.

Just so you know, I have merged your two discussions @nciae7777 so you can keep track of the replies more easily :) 
    Rosie (she/her)

• nciae7777
    Options
    Thanks very much for your reply Rosie, I will update the post when I hear from the case manager.  
  • nciae7777
    Options
    I think the case manager is wrong here. If your UC was backdated to within 28 days of your ESA ending then you should have been entitled to the SDP Transitional protection of £313.79/month. 

However, because your ESA ended you would not have been entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. The waiting period was correct. 

Once the LCWRA element was included in your claim this would have eroded the TP so you would have only been entitled to an extra £76.37/month. 

You were still worse off when you claimed UC because they didn’t include the TP. 

I’d advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration on the decision not to include this at the start of your claim. 
    Thank you very much for your reply Rosie..I have contacted uc and left message for case manager to contact me. As far as I remember he said to me "you weren't forced to migrate to Universal credit , so there are different rules which apply" . Regardless if what happened, I think they deem it as a " change in circumstances ". It doesn't seem right because my health condition was even worse afterwards. I will update the post when I hear from him. Thanks again.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Being "forced" to claim UC doesn't exclude from the SDP TP. This is exactly what this TP is for.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.