Moving out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out

Options
krj98
krj98 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I’m on UC LCWRA and PIP looking to move out of my parents home, I don’t pay any rent but I’ve read I can’t claim housing benefits if I live with any close relatives, does that mean I have to find somewhere to live first?. Is there any advice anybody can give me about receiving any help to rent somewhere or is that just not possible whilst living with parents? Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will not be able to make a new claim for housing benefit anyway, unless you're living in either supported or temporary housing. Help with the rent will be through UC known as housing element. Housing element and housing benefit are two completely different benefits.

Whether you'll be able to claim help with any rent when living with close relatives will depend on whether you're named on the tenancy agreement. If you're not then whether you're entitled will depend on which relative it is. If it's either your parents, children, step children, siblings, including half brothers/sisters, as well as partners of those close relatives https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/claiming_benefits_if_you_rent_from_family

Yes, you will need to find somewhere to live first, you can't claim for help with the rent before finding somewhere.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • krj98
    krj98 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    edited November 2023
    Options
    You will not be able to make a new claim for housing benefit anyway, unless you're living in either supported or temporary housing. Help with the rent will be through UC known as housing element. Housing element and housing benefit are two completely different benefits.

Whether you'll be able to claim help with any rent when living with close relatives will depend on whether you're named on the tenancy agreement. If you're not then whether you're entitled will depend on which relative it is. If it's either your parents, children, step children, siblings, including half brothers/sisters, as well as partners of those close relatives https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/claiming_benefits_if_you_rent_from_family

Yes, you will need to find somewhere to live first, you can't claim for help with the rent before finding somewhere.

I’m not on any tenancy agreements, so if I find somewhere to live first will I then be entitled to housing benefits/housing element? I’ve never heard about housing element before, does that qualify as DSS? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't claim for help with any rent until you find somewhere to live. If you live with close relatives( see above link for details of close relatives) you won't be able to claim for help with any rent if you're paying a close relative rent to live there. You need proof of eligibility to pay rent such as logders agreement or tenancy agreement.

Housing element is part of UC and is help towards your rent. DSS? That's something a landlord or letting agency refers to when someone claims benefits..it's very very difficult to find any landlord that will accept a tenant claiming benefits. It's not impossible, just very very diffficult. Details here for housing element.https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/how_to_claim_universal_credit/how_your_housing_element_is_worked_out

The best thing to do is find somewhere to live and then come back for some advice and someone will be able to advise you further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.