If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas traditions

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,710 Scope online community team
As the weather is getting colder and the evenings are creeping in quicker, our minds often suddenly focus on the holiday season and Christmas.

In my family, we have always had the tradition of opening a small gift on Christmas eve. This has gone on since I was knee high to a grasshopper, as a way of stopping a very inquisitive young me from rattling all of the other gifts under the tree.  :D

We also love a yearly visit to a garden centre,  just to lose ourselves in all the Christmas decorations, but usually never actually buy anything. For us it's all about getting into that Christmas spirit. :) 

So my question to you is; Do you have any fun Christmas traditions in your family or with your friends? Do you insist on watching certain films every year?

Let me know, I'd love to hear all about them. :) 
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,523 Scope online community team
    Options
    Me and a good friend like to go and see some Christmas lights each year. Either a proper light display or just going out to see some of the lights in the city where we live while chatting about nothing in particular. We don't see each other all that often so it's always a really nice night of catching up and getting the festive feeling going.

My family have a "Christmas Tree Present" that we only open after The Queen/King's Speech. It's only ever something cheap and always something really silly or jokey that we can mess about with into the evening. Last year I got a slug that you squeeze and it's eyes pop out :D

We also definitely have to watch Muppets Christmas Carol in my house! It's necessary for the Christmas feeling!
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my family, we have always had the tradition of opening a small gift on Christmas eve. This has gone on since I was knee high to a grasshopper, as a way of stopping a very inquisitive young me from rattling all of the other gifts under the tree.  :D
    I've seen lots of people say they do this but I never understood because where do those presents come from?? Growing up there were never gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. 
    Is it gifts from extended family? Parents? Who are they from and who decides which one you open??
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a dog, Fluff, she was a total mutt but everyone loved her. At Xmas she always knew a pressie under the tree was for her. She would sniff it, lick the paper, run it around on the end of her nose but would never open it. On Xmas morning we would give her the pressie. She would rip it apart in great excitement.

My tradition now is a bit naff, but for what it is worth I listen to Liza: Two weeks at Carnegie Hall. I saw her perform this show at the Palladium. She was absolutely magical. Now, on Xmas day when I have done everything I have to do and I can sit back and relax I listen to Liza, CD No:2. I can sing it by heart. I really don't care if it is a bit naff, 'cos I can also do a few numbers from CD No:1! Happy Xmas everyone, whatever your traditions are!
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 510 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options

Much like Biblioklept, there was no sign of presents on Christmas Eve in our house. However, the anticipation of the festive season kicked in as we were allowed to indulge in fizzy drinks and sweets, on Christmas Eve, a luxury reserved for high days and holidays in our house in the 1960s. 

Heading to bed with empty stockings, the magic unfolded on Christmas morning, our stockings were filled with small gifts, all stockings contained a small orange and chocolate coins at the bottom left by none other than Father Christmas himself. 

Downstairs we always understood the presents under the tree were from family and friends and my mother would keep a note of who sent what present to each child and we would sit and write thank you letters to friends and relatives just before we returned to school.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like most kids ours when young hated sprouts at Christmas however the agreement was they would only be given one with xmas dinner the agreement being they would eat that single sprout.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    I've seen lots of people say they do this but I never understood because where do those presents come from?? Growing up there were never gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. 
    Is it gifts from extended family? Parents? Who are they from and who decides which one you open??
    My parents always said they bought some gifts as the tree would look sad otherwise.  Then Santa would drop the main gifts off in the wee small hours of Christmas morning.  ;)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine You have made me laugh over the sprouts, thank you. It made me recall the amazing moment when The Vicar of Dibley pushed that one last sprout into her mouth.

I think I will enjoy this Xmas. It will be the first time since 2018.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a kid presents arrived xmas day,  I was the 1st one up and shouting he's been. 
    Now with my own family the same applies, also we all eat Xmas Dinner together. If one person is working we rearrange the Xmas meal day.  
  • Albus_Scope
    Options

@Rosie_Scope Muppets Christmas Carol must be watched at least 3 times in December in our house. 

@Steve_in_The_City there's absolutely nothing wrong with a lot of Liza! And I hope you find all the joy this year. :) 

@MW123 Those sounded like some lovely Christmas traditions. Especially the choccy coins. 

@woodbine did you ever learn to like sprouts? Or are you still only managing one? 

@Sandy_123 So is it you waking everyone up on Christmas day each year then?  :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    It was @Albus_Scope i used to wake every hour asking has he been yet lol. 
    I tell my grandkids every year...that rudolph has pooed on my roof. There like how do you know. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Albus_Scope must admit I was never a sprout lover but as an example to the kids I would force half a dozen down, now I quite like them especially cooked with Almonds
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm the same @woodbine though I'd eat them so my older sister looked bad.  :D

There's a few good sprout recipes on the BBC website, they actually made them pretty tasty. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,027 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to love sprouts as a child and still do but I have always been a bit weird
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I love sprouts I would eat them all year round 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Usually go to parents for Christmas day dinner but we all take something. My dish is Brussel sprouts with bacon and chestnuts. Never any left so must be doing something right.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Similar to the kids with sprouts ... 

I really don't like Christmas Pudding, but since I was about 8 I have always tried to eat a mouthful of it, just to say I have had some.

I don't know why I make myself go through with that ... but I have done it since I was 8 so will carry on doing it.

Tradition is a funny thing isn't it!!
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

A drop of brandy in mummy's tea, a drop of rum in daddy's coffee to wake them up and we never had to wait long for them to come down so we could open our presents  :) 

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    Scope does not condone drugging your parents for xmas gifts.  ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

You did as you were told in those days!  
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I saw a news story several years ago about a boy who opened his Christmas present before Christmas (a games console) and started playing with it. His Mum called the police (bit harsh) and they came out.

The most surprising thing about that story, for me, is that the police came out. Now they only come out if someone has a gun...or worse...if someone calls someone a nasty name on FaceBook.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.