Hi, my name is Anna321! Will I lose my benefits if I buy a house with my mum? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Anna321! Will I lose my benefits if I buy a house with my mum?

Anna321 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Will we lose benefits if my elderly mum moves in with us?  Mum & I are buying a house together and she has a large amount of savings/investments but I am on UC and PIP and don’t work. My husband gets the uc care allowance as he looks after me.  He doesn’t work so we live off my benefits.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,776 Disability Gamechanger
    Your mum's savings/capital will have no affect on your UC. PIP isn't means tested anyway. If you're currently claiming help with any rent with your UC then this will end if you buy a property to live in.

    If you need a mortgage for that property then it may not be easy to get that when claiming benefits and not working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 590 Scope online community team
    Hi @Anna321, looks like Poppy has already answered some of your questions, but I just wanted to pop in to say hello and welcome you to the community. 

    I've moved your post over to our benefits boards in case you have any more questions. It just means that people with the best experience and advice can find it more easily :) 

    I hope you'll find our community friendly and useful.
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.