Hi, my name is kaylz! Do I owe money for getting SDP after my child moved in? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kaylz! Do I owe money for getting SDP after my child moved in?

kaylz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi . I was getting esa and my child came to live with me he was 16 in 2017 but he came to me in emergency due to savere issues with being with mum who wasn't a good person... I was getting savere dissability component now 2023 they are saying I've got to pay 21000 pound back as they saying I couldn't have the savere disability component because my child moved in with me... but that doesn't mean I'm not still severely disabled just cos he moved in with me in a emergency... ive had a look and it says under 16s I can still get it 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,598 Disability Gamechanger
    When he reached 18 if he wasn’t still in full time education and you weren’t claim child benefit for him then you should have reported the changes when he reached that age. 

    Unless he was also claiming a qualifying disability benefit himself such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or he was registered blind then you won’t be entitled to it. 

    It’s nothing to do with being severely disabled. Part of the criteria for SDP is that you either live alone or you’re treated as living alone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 586 Scope online community team
    Hi @kaylz, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having with SDP. I've moved your post over to our ESA section where more members with the right experience can find it.

    Do any of the things that Poppy mentioned above apply to your son? 
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.