Moving from ESA to Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from ESA to Universal Credit

Chris83 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I was just wondering if someone could help me on what's the best way to move from ESA(WRAG) to Universal Credit as i'm probably going to have to apply for housing benefits shortly. I was under the impression that if my claim for ESA started pre 2017 i would receive protection when transferring over to UC and basically remain on the same money I'm on at the moment. Yet when i was on the phone to Citizens advice they told me this wouldn't be the case?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,598 Disability Gamechanger
    Transitional protection only applies to those transferring through managed migration. Unless your ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium and then you’ll be entitled to SDP Transitional Protection. 

    If you need to claim for help with any rent, for the first time then you won’t be able to claim housing benefit unless you’ll be living in either supported or temporary housing. Help with the rent will be through UC known as housing element. Two completely different benefits. 

    Citizens Advice have given very poor advice here. As your ESA claim started before April 2017 then you will be entitled to the LCW element from the start of your claim. 

    It may take a few weeks for UC to update your claim because ESA need to transfer your details across. 

    Your ESA will continue for 2 weeks once you claim UC. You shouldn’t claim UC until you move into the property. 

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.