Backdating child disability element after change of circumstance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdating child disability element after change of circumstance

Options
lellykelly5
lellykelly5 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi! I’m wondering if anyone can please advise me, I applied for Dla for my child in July, at the time I was a single claimant on UC. Since then I have added my partner to UC just recently as he had moved in with us. So UC went from single to joint. My child has now been awarded HRC dla just this week, with the change of circumstance and UC claim becoming new will they still back date the disability element for my child on UC or not? Any help would be really appreciated please, thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not a new claim but a change of circumstances which went from a single to a joint claim. The only issue with this is that all of your details from when you were a single claimant will have been deleted. If you kept your statements from when you were a single claimant then there shouldn't be any issues. If you didn't then there could be some issues, i'm not saying there definitely will be but might be.

You need to make sure you report the changes and tell them when the DLA claim starts from. You can also claim carers element providing you're not claiming the LCWRA element for yourself. No doubt being your child, i'm sure you care for them for more than 35 hours per week! You will need to report the changes for this too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lellykelly5
    Options
    Thanks so much that’s really helpful. I didn’t keep the statements no unfortunately but I did leave a message on the journal to them prior to adding partner on claim, that I had applied for dla for my child and the claims are taking around 20 weeks, they did respond saying that’s ok just update us when and if he’s awarded with the backdated date so hopefully they are able to! And yes thank you for that I will do :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As it's a high rate care award they have then please make sure it's the higher disabled child element they award you and not the lower one. It should be £456.89/month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lellykelly5
    Options
    Ahh yeah I’ll mention that too! Thank you :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.