Severe disability premium backpay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium backpay

Options
Asm2k4
Asm2k4 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi I am just wondering if anyone can help me I was recently awarded p.i.p enhanced for daily living and standard for mobility. I recieved a letter to say I may be entitled to sdp so I sent it back a couple of weeks ago. I had a call from dwp a person on the phone told me my sdp would be backdated to the 13th of July which is when my mum originally called up to request my pip forms. Is this correct though as I have also been told I will only recieve sdp backpay from the date my pip was actually awarded not when I first requested the forms. Could someone clear this up for me it would be really appreciated. (also if it helps I have been on income related esa for over 5years in the support group. Thanks hopefully hear back :) 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    When you first apply for PIP providing you had the difficulties for at least 3 months then it's paid from the date you rang to start your claim. Not from when the decision was made.

Therefore unless you were claiming a qualifying disability benefit previously or you were registered blind then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP any earlier than when your PIP was awarded from, which i assume is 13th July. The SDP can be backdated to the date you became entitled to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Asm2k4
    Options
    Hi thankyou for the reply poppy:) I originally called up to apply for pip on the 13th of July but I was actually awarded it on the 26th of October that's what I was unsure of if sdp would be backdated to when I first applied for pip or when pip was awarded. As I have been on ir esa support group for over 5 years people have said different things so I'm just unsure. 
  • Asm2k4
    Options
    When you first apply for PIP providing you had the difficulties for at least 3 months then it's paid from the date you rang to start your claim. Not from when the decision was made.

Therefore unless you were claiming a qualifying disability benefit previously or you were registered blind then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP any earlier than when your PIP was awarded from, which i assume is 13th July. The SDP can be backdated to the date you became entitled to it.
    Hi thankyou for the reply poppy:) I originally called up to apply for pip on the 13th of July but I was actually awarded it on the 26th of October that's what I was unsure of if sdp would be backdated to when I first applied for pip or when pip was awarded. As I have been on ir esa support group for over 5 years people have said different things so I'm just unsure.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The 5 years you've been claiming ESA is irrelevant. For you, you'll be entitled to SDP from 13th July. This is because you either live alone, or you're treated as living alone. 

You must make sure than no one claims either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you in the future. If they do then your entitlement to SDP will end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Asm2k4
    Options
    The 5 years you've been claiming ESA is irrelevant. For you, you'll be entitled to SDP from 13th July. This is because you either live alone, or you're treated as living alone. 

You must make sure than no one claims either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you in the future. If they do then your entitlement to SDP will end.
    Hi thankyou for clearing that up for me poppy I just wasn't sure if it was the 13th of July because that's when I applied for pip now when I was awarded a few people told me it would only be from the award date that's all, but I can tell you no what your talking about so hopefully the 13th it is! Thankyou so much for helping me :) 
  • Asm2k4
    Options
    Asm2k4 said:

Hi thankyou for clearing that up for me poppy I just wasn't sure if it was the 13th of July because that's when I applied for pip now when I was awarded a few people told me it would only be from the award date that's all, but I can tell you no what your talking about so hopefully the 13th it is! Thankyou so much for helping me :) 

Hi poppy just a quick one about our conversation last night you was spot on I spoke on the phone today and I have been accepted for sdp from the 13th of July when I applied for pip :) the man told me the amount but said it has been sent over to be checked, do you no what this means and is there a rough timescale after this point where I can expect my backpay. Thanks hopefully hear back soon. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That’s good news. I’m afraid I have no idea how long it will take to process the payment. Once it’s sent it will be in your bank in 3-5 working days. 
  • Asm2k4
    Options
    That’s good news. I’m afraid I have no idea how long it will take to process the payment. Once it’s sent it will be in your bank in 3-5 working days. 
    Thanks poppy I am made up :) really appreciate your help I was just worried after the man told me the amount but then said its got to be checked I wasn't sure whether to get my hopes built up or not. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.