Struggling parent - my child has ADHD and is currently medicated. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling parent - my child has ADHD and is currently medicated.

Options
strugglingparentadhd
strugglingparentadhd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, 

my child has ADHD and is currently medicated he has been through a family breakup & a change of school who are brilliant but since then he appears to spiralling out of control with anger issues, emotional issues and defiance issues he had a friend around to play and strangled them because they annoyed him, if he can't get his own way he punches doors, walls and shouts or screams until he gets it we have tried all the positive reinforcement rewards I have spoken to the SENCO and Dr however everywhere i turn is a dead-end or full of empty promises 

i feel like such a bad parent that i can't control him and i feel like ill never be able to make new happy memories because it's just getting worse and i don't know what to say or do anymore 
Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @strugglingparentadhd

Welcome to the community. Just to let you know, I have popped your post into our Autism and Neurodiversity section of the forum. So, hopefully more members can see and help support. 

I am so sorry to hear that you keep going to a dead end or have been given empty promises. I want to say you are not a bad parent. You are reaching out for all support you can find for him <3

I would encourage you to reach out to your GP again. And if your practice is one that has multiple doctors under the surgery, maybe get a second opinion? Whether that be medication wise or if they think a form of therapy could help?

ADHD Foundation have lots of advice pages that you may find helpful, and I would also look at Mind's ADHD and Mental Health page.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.