ESA, tax rebate and MR — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, tax rebate and MR

Options
Woodcock21
Woodcock21 Community member Posts: 47 Connected
Hubby applied for ESA, he's in receipt of full pip motability and standard living ( that's another issue)

He applied for ESA because works now only 0-12 hours a week due to disability. The week he applied he  received Tax rebates which took him over  ESA allowance . But he's normally under. 

He has been turned down without anyone speaking to us to tell them it's a tax rebate. Didn't even get an interview. 

He can't get hold of DWP jobcentre plus on the telephone to ask why ? 

Any suggestions?

Should he just write? Asking for MR. Including his payslips? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tax rebates are not classed as earnings and won’t affect any possible entitlement to New style ESA. 

What was the exact reason for refusal? 

To be entitled to payments of New style ESA you need to have the correct NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. 

If you haven’t then you won’t be entitled. If he’s PAYE he will need class 1 or class 2 if he’s self employed. He can check his record here https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    It said " your  earnings exceeded the permitted work limit"

too much earnings as the week he applied he had £172 put into his bank, of which £27 was a tax rebate. 

But the form asked for exact amount going into the bank. We assumed we would have opportunity to explain at the interview stage but he hasn't got that far. 

Were do we go?
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    NI should be up to date. Been sick and on Reduced hours since April 2023
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Tax rebates are definitely not earnings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Tried call number on the letter today - no answer. 

Will try calling again tomorrow. 

Would you suggest. MR in writing as well ? 
    Sending in pay slips showing tax rebates?

We just answered gov co.uk form honestly as it requested. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you put it down as earnings then yes this will be why you were refused. He will need to ring them tomorrow when they open and explain it was a tax rebate and not earnings. There shouldn't be any need for the MR at this stage.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Ok. Thanks . 

Held on for 45 minutes with no answer, let's hope he's not on hold too long tomorrow. 

All so stressful 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The best time to ring is as soon as they open, if possible. Make sure it's New style ESA you're ringing and not the legacy ESA. The number should be on the top of the letter.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    0800 169 0310 
    Is the number on the letter. 

Guessing that's the new style ESA. 

No opening times on the letter 8am-5pm ?
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    That's the number for the old legacy ESA so i'm confused why it tells you that number on the letter. The ESA will 100% be New style because that's the only one possible to claim now. The number to ring is

Jobcentre Plus new claims helpline

Telephone: 0800 055 6688
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 055 6688
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Welsh language telephone: 0800 328 1744
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

• Woodcock21
    Options
    Oh ok. That's weird. As he only applied 2 weeks ago on gov.com page. 

Must admit we Googled it and found the other number. 

Will try first thing. 

So pleased I found this group it's so helpful. 🤞
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This is yet another reason why ESA letters still make no sense at all. Please do come back and let me know what they said.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Will do thanks 
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Morning tried number ending with 6688. Got through but they wouldn't speak to him told him to call number ending 0310. 

Been on hold for 30 mins so far. His anxiety is through the roof
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Spoke to someone, apparently they should of call him back within 3 working days. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I still don't understand why they asked him to ring the 0310 number. Hopefully someone will ring back.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Fingers crossed 🤞

Think it's because he hasn't actually been awarded ESA, turned down on earnings. 

He explained that he is over because of tax rebates . 

It's a waiting game. 

If not we will wait a month and reapply but this time over the phone on 6688 number so he can explain. 
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Thanks for your support, appreciated in such a stressful time 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hmm, a waiting game for what exactly? He hasn't been awarded because of his earnings because they took a tax rebate and used that as earnings, probably because you put it as earnings, which it wasn't.
  • Woodcock21
    Options
    Just had a call back. They are going to re start claim. Now  waiting to hear from our local job centre. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.