Administrative Earnings Threshold v Minimum Income Floor — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Administrative Earnings Threshold v Minimum Income Floor

Options
WhatThe
WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 991 Pioneering

AET v MIF

Can anyone explain the difference to me please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    AET applies to someone that works as PAYE and is the level of earnings required that determines which work group you're placed into. If you earn more than the required amount then you'll be in the light touch regime group.

MIF is for those that are self employed if found to be gainfully self employed. It will not apply for the first 12 months of your UC claim. After that then your MIF will be set in most cases as 35 x NMW so it will depend on your age. It means if you don't earn more than this amount each month then your UC entitlement will be based on as if you did earn that amount. If you earn more than this then your UC entitlement will be based on the earnings you receive.

There are some claimants that will be exempt from the MIF such as carers and those that have been found to have either LCW/ LCWRA or a person that's the primary carer for a child under 3 etc. More information here. http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-0759/Applying_the_minimum_income_floor_V12.pdf

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    Options

That's helpful. It's one or the other then, not a hybrid claim! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To be found to be gainfully self employed, your self employed work must be your main job or main source or income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • WhatThe
    Options

Local authority insisted that UC was notifying them of my earnings from self-employment but HMRC confirmed that I wasn't registered so I don't know how they found otherwise.. 

UC (via the jobcentre which managed my benefits for 17 years) is now saying there is no data on my legacy benefits or Tribunal outcome after so much hell keeping them in payment.

We were told UC was going to fix all this and I held out hope for that. This feels like something out of Black Mirror and I know I shouldn't feel glad that my life is behind me but I do. I definitely would rather not be autistic and would not do it all again if I could  :'(    

I'm still remembering things.. was made to claim IB/IS three times so that would account for the three migrations to ESA and the three P45's sent by DWP 

• poppy123456
    Options
    I know there’s a lot of confusion about your benefits claims and a lot of what you’ve said makes no sense. I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise on this. I hope you will be able to find the help you’re looking for but I think that’s unlikely on a forum.
  • WhatThe
    Options

I know and I spent much of those 17 years in advice centres with mountains of documents..

The problem we all face now is the lack of transparency in this digital programme and the complete lack of accountability - that's my worry for everyone else because of my experiences, yes

• poppy123456
    Options
    Your experience is very unique and the majority of people claim UC with no issues. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.