Is there any financial help available regarding paying buildings insurance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there any financial help available regarding paying buildings insurance?

Options
ESABenefitsUK123
ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
My yearly mandatory buildings insurance keeps going up.  (This isn't contents insurance.)  I am in a flat.  The building is insured as a whole, and each flat owner pays a certain percentage of this cost.  My cost is 20% because I am in the smallest flat in the building.  However, it's gone up to £250 a year, just for my flat.  I am the sole owner/occupier, with no mortgage left to pay.  I am on ESA & PIP, with no other income.  I have savings less than £6000.  Is there any financial help available?  Thanks a lot for any comments.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m not aware of there being any help for this unfortunately. Are you also claiming council tax reduction? 

Which ESA are you claiming? Contributions based, new style or Income Related? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks.
    I am claiming council tax reduction.
    Regarding ESA, I think I am on income-based, as my savings are less than 6K, although the odd thing is that when I spoke to an ESA adviser on the DWP ESA telephone helpline, I was told on two separate occasions that my ESA is contrib.  I don't know what to make of this.  Is there a way of finding out?
    BTW, and apologies if this is starting a new topic inside an existing thread, but do you think it's likely that I will be migrated over to UC in approximately 2028/2029.
    Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I noticed that SDP was mentioned in a previous thread of yours. If your ESA includes any of the disability premiums then at least part of it is Income Related. £129.50/week is contributions based. Any more than this then it will be Income Related.

Those claiming ESA won’t be migrated to UC until at least 2028, unless they are claiming Tax Credits. Whether that date can be achieved is anyone’s guess. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.