Telephone pip assesment complete — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telephone pip assesment complete

pip12345
pip12345 Community member Posts: 31 Listener
I abosrbed as much information as I could do from this forum and other sources.

I had my telephone assesment yesterday. I told the advisor that the call will be recorded.

Her stance and tone was very neutral. I told her all the information she wants to know has been provided in writing and to avoid repeat asking as I have social anxiety. She said she still needs to go through everything. I was in the call for a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes. 

Her questions were blatantly framed to try and find inconsistencies in description activities and was trying to catch me out. Very witty and jumpy from one topic to another. 

One thing I learned from this whole process is to write down every anticipated question and answer and send it to DWP. 
1) as it's provided in writing they will avoid repeat asking
2) as you've wrote it down you can provide the answer from memory more easily without being caught off guard.

In the end she just said she will write the report now and send the report to DWP. She said the decision letter will have everything I need. 

Now I'm trying to decode this, does it mean everything I need to know how to appeal? Or everything I need.l, meaning all the help I need? Only time will tell but your thoughts would help my anxious waiting.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,230 Disability Gamechanger
    The whole point of these assessments is to gather more evidence to support your claim. If you had given enough of relevant information in the form you filled in then there wouldn't have been any need for the assessment.

You can't dictate to the assessor the questions they can't ask you, that's not how it works. They will have a standard set of questions to ask, as well as any additional information they need.

pip12345 said:

In the end she just said she will write the report now and send the report to DWP. She said the decision letter will have everything I need. 

Now I'm trying to decode this, does it mean everything I need to know how to appeal? Or everything I need.l, meaning all the help I need? Only time will tell but your thoughts would help my anxious waiting.

Trying to "decode" it isn't going to help. Regardless of what the decision is, the decision letter will always include information on how to challenge the decision, which would be to request the Mandatory Reconsideration, as your first step. It will give you this information even if you're awarded the the highest amount. That part of the decision letter is standard for all decision letters, for any benefits claim.

My advice is to please try not to speculate anything at this stage because it's not going to help. Once the report is returned a decision can take up to 12 weeks. You will be contacted once that decision is made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,144 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pip12345

Welcome to the community! Well done for getting through your assessment! :) Please keep us updated with the outcome. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • pip12345
    I'm just worried about dressing and undressing. She asked me if I can wear a t-shirt unaided. I said yes. But I will need assistance in doing my buttons for upper clothing. 

Would I be expected to wear upper clothing without buttons or would my need to assistance for doing up shirt/polo shirt buttons be classed as needed legitimate assistance for upper clothing?
  • pip12345
    I called DWP. They confirmed recieving my report on 24th. They said average time for decision will be more or less 3 weeks from that date.

I requested a copy of my HA report on in the meantime which they said will take 7-10 days to come.
  • poppy123456
    That 3 weeks is very optimistic and could be up to 12 weeks. Please be aware that when you receive the report, it's not a decision. It's a recommendation only, whilst they mostly go with it, it has been known for them to go against it but it's rare.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pip12345
    Got a decision on the phone today. The decision was made on 1st Dec.

I received standard daily living and 0 points on mobility.

Half disappointed. 

Do you know how long us the MR and appeal process?

What should I concentrate on on MR?
  • poppy123456
    I advised the following to you, on another thread.

You should put the request in writing, please do not ring to request you. Before doing anything else you need to make sure it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award. This may help have a little more understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

For the MR you need to state where and why you think you should have scored those points. When you filled out the original form, if you didn't give a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you then you should do that. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies.

Timescales for MR decisions are up to 12 weeks. The most likely outcome will be the decision remains the same. Only about 23% of decisions change in the claimants favour at this stage. More chance at Tribunal stage, providing you either appear in person or have a telephone/video hearing.

The whole process of MR and Tribunal could take as long as a year.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.