Question about ESA and/or Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about ESA and/or Universal Credit

Options
PendularSand
PendularSand Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, my name's Amie. I'm a medium/high support needs autistic, who also has other conditions that effect my day to day life. 

I'm currently a student who's on PIP and DSA, but a full time degree is becoming too much for me (I am in my second year right now). My partner, who is my primary carer and lives with me on campus, suggests I suspend my studies to see if I can do the freelance work I have been training for, as I don't fit into any traditional workplaces.

Problem is, I struggle with even freelance work, as I cannot manage my own finances, struggle talking to clients and have meltdowns often. I love making art- but the career aspect of it just seems purely out of reach for me. If it turns out I take a gap year and don't continue my studies later, would I have to apply for Universal Credit (and go to a work capability assessment) or ESA?

I would like to live with my partner again eventually because I would have to move back home with my parents if I took a gap year, as currently our student loans pay for our rent. But i know that affects Universal credit? I have under 16k in capitol, but if I did go on UC and then was able to move back in with my partner what would that mean? Is it easier/and or possible to go on ESA instead?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    To claim New Style ESA you must have worked at some point in the previous to tax years. If you haven't then you won't be entitled to any payments.

Students and UC do not mix so claiming while still being a student won't be possible. Whether it's possible to claim if you take a gap year i don't know, sorry and i can't find any information regarding this. For this reason i'd advise you to contact the disabled students helpline and they will give you all the information you need.

If you're living with your partner then any claim for UC would need to be made as a couple. Though, this maybe a moot point anyway because you're a student.

Providing advice to Disabled students, apprentices and trainees in England.

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Yes, a student maintenance loan would affect a UC claim. A DSA doesn't affect it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PendularSand
    PendularSand Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Ah ok, I saw that you can sometimes get UC as a student if you have LCW before your course but I wasn't sure if that counts if you have LCW during your course (or suspend your studies), I'll contact their helpline though, thank you :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.