Mobilty Car/Money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobilty Car/Money

Binky1234
Binky1234 Community member Posts: 405 Pioneering
Having been awarded mobilty after my PIP review my award has stayed exactly the same as PIP since switching over to ADP.
I was wondering does it matter if you just take the money and will this go against you in future reviews or are you better taking the mobilty car?

I personally don't take the car but use the money in keeping our car on the road as it is my belief that you can only use the mobilty car to benefit the claimant in this case little old me, so therefore it is my understanding that my husband could not use for example my mobilty car to get him to and from work. 

Just wondering by not using my award of mobilty on the mobilty scheme will this go against me in the future, am I shooting myself in the foot so to speak. Its just when I was in hospital I was told by the lady in the next bed that I should take use of the mobilty component and get a car otherwise at my next review my mobilty award could get taken from me as she said your not meant to keep the money.

She overheard a conversation between myself and the OT although I was trying to keep the conversation low, it's hard for others not to hear your business when all that is dividing you from the next bed is a curtain, anyway I just can't get her words of warning out my head, am I doing wrong by taking the money and not the car? surely not any feedback will be appreciated as I just can't help thinking what this lady has told me and if it is true I will get a mobilty car.

Sorry I have not been on much but my health has not been so great lately.
Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,229 Disability Gamechanger
    It's entirely your decision whether you decide to make use of the motaibility scheme, some do and others don't. They do not force anyone to use it. Therefore it will not go against you if you don't use it. It would be ridiculous if it did go against you. The person who overheard you should have minded their own business, rather than give you very worrying information. 

I hope my advice means you'll now be able to relax a little more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 405 Pioneering
    Thanks Poppy yes it does thank you so much. Hope you have a lovely Christmas 🎄 

You have said basically what hubby said in regards to the lady in the next bed. Tbh this has worried me, but she was adamant she was right and hubby was just as adamant that she was talking absolutely rubbish. Just needed reassurance, scope is amazing for advice 👍

Thanks again Poppy.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,229 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome. It's lovely to see you posting too! I haven't seen you active for a while. I'm happy to say that your hubby was correct. Some people just like to scare others.

Both my daughter and myself claim Enhanced mobility and live together. We only have 1 mobility vehicle but it was my choice to join the scheme, i wasn't forced to do so.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • popsmaise
    popsmaise Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I agree it is nonsense to have to get a car.  You could use the mobility money for taxi's or paying someone petrol money to take you some where, any number of reasons.  Do what you want the money :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.