Mental and Physical health & work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental and Physical health & work

Options
Laura9567
Laura9567 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am new here :) and I'm not sure if this is in the right category. I would like to know peoples opinions on this subject or even your own stories. I am 28 and suffer with a different range of physical and mental illnesses. I have pcos, ibs, acute gastirits, a skin condtion called hidradenitis suppurativa, severe anxiety,  depression, PTSD. I have always worked up until 2019 where I finally left an abusive 10 year relationship which has left many physiological scars and symptoms. Along with other abuse since i was very young. As the years went on my illnesses got worse and I'm unable to manage in day to day life without pain or impact. I suffer with alot of stomach issues which affects my eating and bowel movements, I'm in constant pain and are very fatigued. There's alot of other symptoms physically and mentally but I'm just wondering if anyone has felt guilty like I do for not being able to work at the moment, and also how you cope with your illnesses. 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Laura9567, I think quite a few of us deal with feelings of guilt about work. It doesn't help that the media is very active at the moment talking about benefits and strategies to get people into work.

When it comes down to it, people are very complex and not everyone will be able to manage working. But that doesn't mean that you don't deserve to have a good quality of life. It's a really tough thing to think through and sometimes it seems like the world might not agree, but you still deserve happiness if you can't work.

I think when it comes to managing your conditions, different things help different people cope. Hopefully some more members will be along to share their tips and experiences soon :) 

What have you found helpful so far?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.