Hi, my name is Sue57Bolger! Autistic son having problems w theme park access. Is this discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sue57Bolger! Autistic son having problems w theme park access. Is this discrimination

Options
Sue57Bolger
Sue57Bolger Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All,  I have a severely autistic son who is 22 years old.  One of his favourite things is theme parks.  Recently he has had problems with having to queue even though he has a Merlin Pass and a Ride Access Pass.  We wrote a letter of complaint to the CEO.  We were advised that we could give our input into the 'New Ride Access Pass',  We had a meeting last week and they gave us the details of the new pass.
It basically means that they will be letting less disabled people into the park to allow for the people paying extra for Premier and Fast passes.  Also Disabled people will have to book online and when the quota of disabled people are in the Park - no more will be allowed in.  They will be turned away!

This to me would seem to be discrimination?   What do you think?  I would like to take this matter further but need some others to be with me.

Let me know if you are interested in taking this further.

Thanks 
Sue 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Sue57Bolger and welcome to the community. How're you today? 

Unfortunately I'm not great on the legalities of theme parks and without full details I cant really comment on the scheme.  But personal opinion is it doesn't sound very disability friendly, but they may have health and safety or staffing regulations they need to address.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • BridgetTibble
    BridgetTibble Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have this sent email to Merlin and waiting for a response. I cannot book in advance for Legoland or Chessington at all. Has anybody code a tel I can call please. 

I have have a red access pass and have been a Merlin pass holder for the last two years.  Due to my condition I have an electric wheelchair. I was shocked when I visited Legoland on Saturday with my young grandchildren as I tried to access a ride which I queued for with the fast pass users. When I was asked for a QR code, I had no understanding of needing one and told that I should have booked online for one. Also I have had no communication with Merlin Entertainment regarding the fact I needed one. I then joined the general queue and imagine my embarrassment when I actually got stuck as the ride line snaked round, and my wheelchair, which I’ve been in for the past 19 years was too wide to fit and necessitated my husband together with another gentleman to manoeuvre my wheelchair out of the queue which meant I was unable to access the ride. This is one of many rides and attractions I would a not able to access. 

As you are aware, it is unlawful to discriminate against the disabled and I feel Merlin Entertainment is certainly being just that. It’s a struggle enough to be disabled without any more obstacles put in our way like having to book online for an QR code only to find out there are none available even if you try 7 days in advance. This means that if I did decide to go to a theme park there would be some rides I wouldn’t be able to access unlike physical able bodied guests who could go anytime not needing a QR code. 

I can, with many other disabled people prove categorically with all the relevant paperwork that I am disabled and need to have easy access to rides without discrimination. 

The disabled don’t ask for a lot but not given flexibility to access a theme park ride because or something so simple as a QR code. My understanding is people applying for and paying for fast track need a QR code which you limit the amount you would allow in a day understandably. Surely it is discriminate to put the disabled within that allowance or category. 

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 592 Pioneering
    Options
    UK theme parks and attractions have gone downhill ever since merlin took over most of them. Its all money orintated nowadays and Merlin is so expensive. I remember going blackpool as a kid before Merlin existed and you paid once for the whole attractions in the blackpool tower, sealife, waxworks etc, you could go on things multiple times and could go and get a stamp of your arms and come back later. Nowadays since merlin took over they have tripled the price and you can only use the attractions once.

Merlin is just a pure greed company and unfortunalty they bought out most of the attractions nowadays in the UK. This is a prime example of it.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,605 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi All,  I have a severely autistic son who is 22 years old.  One of his favourite things is theme parks.  Recently he has had problems with having to queue even though he has a Merlin Pass and a Ride Access Pass.  We wrote a letter of complaint to the CEO.  We were advised that we could give our input into the 'New Ride Access Pass',  We had a meeting last week and they gave us the details of the new pass.
    It basically means that they will be letting less disabled people into the park to allow for the people paying extra for Premier and Fast passes.  Also Disabled people will have to book online and when the quota of disabled people are in the Park - no more will be allowed in.  They will be turned away!

This to me would seem to be discrimination?   What do you think?  I would like to take this matter further but need some others to be with me.

Let me know if you are interested in taking this further.

Thanks 
    Sue 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.