ESA to JSA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA to JSA

Options
JEllen
JEllen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm Julie, Im new here but would really like some advice. I've recently been reviewed for PIP, that I have been in receipt of for around 15 years now and income based ESA. I have been awarded PIP again but had my mobility taken from me. Now my ESA missed a payment, I called and they told me it was because i had changed address, I gave my new address and received an ESA payment that in my bank account was showing as JSA, now I have read a few places that this is normal when they process a manual payment. However today I was due my next ESA payment and it is showing as JSA and half the amount I usually receive on ESA. I've had no notification that there was going to be a change to my ESA, or that I was being moved from ESA to JSA? Can they do this without telling me? My mail is being redirected to me so anything sent to my previous address I should still receive it, there has been nothing. I am very concerned and intend to make the one hour plus queue waiting phone call but if anyone has experience of this I would be grateful for any information or advice. Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The reason it says JSA is because as you said it will be a manual payment. It's impossible to move from Income Related ESA to Income Related JSA for two reasons, one being Income Related JSA no longer exists and the other is that no one automatically moves from one benefit to the other.

If your PIP review decision was recently made then this may have caused the issue with your payment because the system would have detected there was a change so your ESA may have been suspended, or part of it. When they realised this they made the payment but not all of it.. which could be the Severe disability Premium, if your ESA includes this.

They open at 8am tomorrow so you will need to ring them. They will make a same day payment for the money that's owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JEllen
    JEllen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Oh thank you Poppy123456. That makes sense, yes I will call them tomorrow morning. I appreciate your comment it has helped me stop feeling so panicky. Thank you. 🙂👍
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @JEllen and a big welcome to the community from me. :)

I can see Poppy has already answered your question, but I just wanted to stop in and say hi.  If you need any further assistance, please just ask.  Or if you fancied a chat or some games, I highly recommend our Coffee Lounge category. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.