Hi, my name is karenlouise30! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is karenlouise30!

Options
karenlouise30
karenlouise30 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Can anyone please help! Am 45and work full time  work I live in a 2 bedroom flat but want to go back to my mums she worried about loosing her PIP she is 70 years old she said she will have to pay for full dental treatment and everything 🤦‍♀️  does anyone know how it works 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,206 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @karenlouise30 and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear your mum's worried about losing her PIP.  PIP isn't means based, so she wont be losing her PIP. It's based on how her disabilities affect her daily life, so there shouldn't be any cause for distress. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • karenlouise30
    Options
    She has COPD so is unable to work she is on the top rate of pip ect she think she will have to pay for dental and all kinds 
  • karenlouise30
    Options
    Sorry would it affect her pension ? She never worked. Am sure I would have to contribute to the rent which am happy to do but it’s her just wording she will basically loose all kinds 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,206 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @karenlouise30. I'll just copy this from the Scope websites section on benefits and dentistry

"You can get free NHS dental treatment if you or your partner receive:

• Income Support (IS)
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
    • Universal Credit

If you get Universal Credit, free treatment depends on your earnings. You are eligible if your earnings after tax in the last month were:

• £435 or less
    • £935 or less if you get the child element or you’re assessed as having limited capability for work."

But being on PIP alone does not entitle her to free dental care, so I'm guessing she's on other benefits too? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • karenlouise30
    Options
    She gets a pension on top of her pip allowance as I say she is 70 years old so everything is paid for her rent & council tax she basically gets everything so she is terrified she will loose it if I come home as I work full time my monthly wage is £1569.42 am also in debt with no savings 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As she's 70 then she should be claiming her state pension. PIP is a disability benefit that isn't means tested so if you live with her, this will not be affect, as advised. Her state pension will not be affected and will continue as normal.

However, if she's claiming Pension Credit and she currently lives alone the Pension Credit may include a Severe disability Addition. (SDA) If it does and you live with her then she will no longer be entitled to the SDA, which may mean her Pension Credit ends. If Pension Credit ends then she will no longer automatically be entitled to free dental treatment.

If she's claiming help with any rent through housing benefit then you living with her will not affect this because she's claiming daily living PIP it means there will be no non dependant deductions. However, if her Pension Credit ends then this could affect housing benefit and council Tax reduction.

For all those reasons i'd advise her to get some expert advice from an agency near her. This way she will be able to tell them all the benefits she's claiming and they will be able to advise her correctly based on her circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.