ESA and UC advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and UC advice

Options
Juthbert
Juthbert Community member Posts: 22 Listener
Hello,
My SSP has ended and after receiving SSP1 form from my employer, I have applied for ESA. The benefits calculator I did online said that I may be eligible for universal credit. Having read up on it, I see that my partner and I would have to apply together. He receives ESA and is in the support group,  if we applied for UC, could this affect his ESA? We have nowhere near sixteen thousand pounds of savings and the only money we now have coming in, is his ESA. I have applied for PIP but am waiting for a tribunal date.
Any advice welcomed.
Thank you.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Juthbert, how're you?

I noticed no one had offered any advice to your query, so I just wanted to check in and see how you were getting on with this?  Have you managed to find the information you needed?

If not, hopefully me commenting will mean more people will see your post again. ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,714 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can apply for New style ESA providing you have the correct NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

I would think that his ESA is contributions based because you were working, otherwise they would likely be no entitled to ESA for your partner because any earnings you receive that more than £20/week would reduce his ESA £1 for £1.

If you apply for UC, yes you will need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. His ESA and your ESA, if you're entitled to payments will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As he's in the Support Group then he would be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his claim.

However, if you claim ESA and are placed into the Support Group then your UC would not include another LCWRA element for yourself because you can only receive 1 element per claim.

Whether there's any entitlement to UC after both ESA's are deducted in full will depend on your joint circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Juthbert
    Options
    Thank you both, i appreciate your responses. I'm waiting to hear re my claim for ESA and have put UC to the back of my mind for now as it all feels a bit much, but thank you for the information.
  • Juthbert
    Options
    Hi again,
    I've just received a call and have a telephone appt on the 19th. The man said its nothing to worry about but mentioned having to agree to claimant commitment in order to receive the esa. What is this likely to entail please? I'm still employed but signed off long term ( currently 6 months) and am still receiving EMDR therapy. I'm unable to leave my house unless my partner is with me, and even then it's not an experience I deal with very well. I'm worried I'll be asked to commit to something I can't do and am overthinking it already. I'd be grateful for any advice please.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,714 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like the standard new claim call. For ESA your commitments are likely to be to agree to report all changes. I wouldn’t say it’s anything to worry about. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Juthbert
    Options
    Thank you so much Poppy.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.