Are artificial Christmas trees better than real trees? [Day 1] — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are artificial Christmas trees better than real trees? [Day 1]

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,495 Scope online community team
edited December 2023 in Coffee lounge
So today is December the first, so that means the start of our annual 12 days of Christmas debates.

It looks like I have the honour of kicking things off this year.  So my question to you is; Do you think artificial tress are better than real Christmas trees? And why do you think so?

Are you a fan of the smell of a real tree, or do you prefer just throwing your artificial tree back in the attic once Christmas is over? Or do you have a tree you bring in from your garden each year? 

Over to you Scope community! 
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    R.e. the environmental reasons - people say it's bad cutting down a 1 year old tree - but I think it's worth considering the fact that, if it wasn't going to be purchased by someone, it wouldn't have been planted in the first place - so we would have lost a years' worth of negative CO2 impact that the tree had.

That said, we have a real tree but we replant it each year!!!!! :) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Artificial are certainly less mess, we have had our artificial one for years now, last time we had a real one when the kids were young it was ok after xmas I put it in the car boot to take to the tip and by the time I got there almost every needle had dropped off making a real mess, but the car smelt great for a few weeks 🌲
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    Very good point about the negative CO2 impact there.  I'd love a real planted tree, but with summers getting warmer each year especially in the south, I'm worried it'd end up frying. 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My brother is a tree surgeon, good one too, and very into tree management and health of trees, sustainability etc. so if anyone has any questions about trees and sustainability etc. I would be happy to pass them on!!
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,171 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I watched something on the TV this morning where you rent a real tree each year then take it back and the nursery plant it again. You can reserve it for the following year if you want that tree again or have another one. Seemed a good idea to me. It was too far from where I live otherwise might have considered this. I prefer a real tree.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I've seen the real tree hire, I think that's a great idea, as long as it doesn't cause too much stress on the trees. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.