If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas

Options
wendy1
wendy1 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
I'm so sad at the thought of not having a traditional Christmas Dinner, it was always something I looked forward to. With everything else that this Government is doing to certain people, not being able to have Christmas Dinner this is another thing to put on the list. 😥

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @wendy1 is there are reason you cant have a Christmas dinner this year?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wendy1
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Well yes, there is. I used to go over the top or go out for Xmas Dinner, but now I will have to save what money I have.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Xmas dinner at home can be done quite well on a budget.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wendy1
    edited December 2023
    Options
    How ?. Just some Potatoes, piece of Turkey and 1 or 2 Vegetables. The smallest Turkey costs at least £5. What about a Starter and then a Pudding. Before my plate would have that much on it, there was no room for anything else. 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 514 Pioneering
    Options
    @wendy1

Wendy, recognising that financial situations vary for everyone, I'd like to share my approach to creating a budget-friendly festive dinner. 

I personally opt for a solo Christmas dinner at home, upholding the tradition of a festive meal. However, being on my own means I avoid buying raw meat that requires cooking. This year, Sainsbury's once again offers their deli range, featuring pre-packed, cooked turkey breast slices at an affordable £3.00. I tried this last year, and it proved to be of excellent quality, particularly when warmed up in hot gravy. 

Regarding vegetables, I stay away from pre-packed options to minimise unnecessary waste. Instead, I choose individual items like loose potatoes, a sizable parsnip, a large carrot, and a handful of Brussels sprouts. Opting for shop brand bread sauce, cranberry, and stuffing, the entire meal cost me around £6.50. 

When it comes to starters and desserts, I usually pass on them, but I notice they're something you like to include. If you're interested, you can easily find reasonably priced options such as soup or pâté for less than £1.00. Many shops also offer individual Christmas puddings and various desserts for around the same price. 

Wendy, understanding the difficulties this Christmas may pose for you, my sincere wish is for you to experience a day filled with tranquillity and peaceful moments.

• Lottie1732
    Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    @wendy1

Hi Wendy, have you tried an application to the household support fund? Below is a comment I made on another thread.  I received the voucher 20 days after submitting my application. 

Lottie1732 said:
    I put in an application yesterday for grocery vouchers (£150!) as a new round of funds were available. Check your local council - you can find their individual pages here by doing a search. 

The criteria and application is very simple. Only took 5 minutes. No guarantees of course, but if it gets approved, that's going to go a long way and all the big supermarkets do a lot in the way of gifts now.

Go for it!  https://www.gov.uk/cost-living-help-local-council
  • Lottie1732
    Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    @wendy1

Hi Wendy, have you tried an application to the household support fund? Below is a comment I made on another thread.  I received the voucher 20 days after submitting my application. 

Lottie1732 said:
    I put in an application yesterday for grocery vouchers (£150!) as a new round of funds were available. Check your local council - you can find their individual pages here by doing a search. 

The criteria and application is very simple. Only took 5 minutes. No guarantees of course, but if it gets approved, that's going to go a long way and all the big supermarkets do a lot in the way of gifts now.

Go for it!  https://www.gov.uk/cost-living-help-local-council
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,129 Scope online community team
    Options
    You're definitely not alone in feeling that way @wendy1, I know my Christmas is going to look very different this year too. 

Have a look at the cost of living support available that Lottie has linked. And maybe have a think about what items you'll miss most from your plate, and see if there are more affordable ways to get some of them so you won't feel like you're missing out as much? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Xmas dinner at home can be done quite well on a budget.
    I agree and to be honest who wants to have dinner with a load of strangers in a restaurant/pub?
    Like everything else you have to cut your cloth accordingly - celebrate at home then put the telly on for entertainment.
    I've never had dinner at Christmas in public even to the point when I lived alone when I was in my late 20's I made sausage & chips followed by a miniature of dark rum.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wendy1

I just wanted to comment as ask if you looked at the link Lottie provided? 

I did also see this article yesterday about which supermarket will have the cheapest of the "Christmas Dinner staples". Some supermarkets are doing discounts with their rewards cards, some are doing bundles. My friends did a bundle last year and then found they could budget for a few extra treats on top.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wendy1
    Options
    Hi Lottie, no I haven't applied to the household support fund, I find it might have been to late. I will keep it in mind for next year. But thanks for your help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.