Uc child disability element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uc child disability element

charlene37 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi was wondering if anyone has any advice. My son was awarded low rate care cdp and I’m currently receiving the element on my  uc claim but I’m waiting to hear still from the back payment since august. But recently they have advised me I have been overpaid uc for not reporting my son left school I honestly didn’t know I had to report that because child benefit stopped automatically and I assumed it would with uc my question is will they take any overpayment from the backpay 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Child benefit is a completely different benefit and they don't always share information with UC. It is also your responsibility to report all changes. Yes, they can take the money you owe them from the money they owe you.

    Is the disabled child element for the same child that left education? If so then you shouldn't be still claiming the disabled child element because this will have ended when they left education.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlene37
    charlene37 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    No it’s for a different child. I change everything as well when I need to I genuinely didn’t know about reporting them when they leave school I thought it would have stopped when child benefit did. Thanks for your reply ☺️ x


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.