Hi, my name is aussielyn! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is aussielyn!

aussielyn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello my husband and I are both disabled and are in receipt of PIP, state pension for my husband. I get esa contribution based and 2 small work pensions. Can I email dwp to inform them that we plan to go to south of France for the winter. I cannot speak on the phone. If I go to dwp office do I need to make an appointment? Thank you


  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering

    The Gov.uk website PIP handbook - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) says about PIP:

    Residence and presence

    Claimants will need to be present in Great Britain, habitually resident in the United Kingdom (UK), Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and not subject to immigration control.

    They must have been present for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 weeks in Great Britain.

    We treat serving members of His Majesty’s Forces and their families as habitually resident in Great Britain when serving and stationed abroad.

    A temporary absence abroad for up to 13 weeks may be allowed, or up to 26 weeks if the absence is specifically for medical treatment. The claimant should notify us if they are planning to go abroad for 4 weeks or more.

    The Gov.uk website Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad: Illness and injury benefits - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)says about ESA:

    Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

    You can get ESA for up to 4 weeks if you go abroad. Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus before you go.

    Going abroad for more than 4 weeks but less than a year

    Tell your local Jobcentre Plus if you’re going abroad for more than 4 weeks.

    You can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child.

    It does not matter which country you go to.

    I would seem to be the same for State Pensions.

    i would have thought email would suffice but i can't find any email addresses, just telephone numbers, sorry

    Benefits: report a change in your circumstances - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

    Sorry, this feels like a rubbish reply.  The only advice (and it is advice only) is that it looks like if you are going for less than 4 weeks you seem to be ok.

    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

    What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,670 Scope online community team
    Hi @aussielyn! Welcome to the Scope community :) 

    As Pete mentions, the DWP generally does everything by phone or post. If you can't have someone call on your behalf then I would recommend sending them a letter. Don't forget to be exact, avoid being vague about how long you are away. Don't want to leave it up to interpretation :)
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.