uc work and carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

uc work and carers

wilkins98 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello I’m just looking for advice 

i Currently am on uc and am in receipt of pip. My partner is currently working however is looking at leaving his job to become my full time carer. Is this possible? Does anyone know how to go about this as I really don’t know where to start. There is no option within his job where they will give him time off work


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Assuming you’re claiming UC with your partner. If your PIP includes the daily living part and they care for you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element of UC. There’s no earnings limit with this either like there is with carers allowance.

    You do not need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element. 

    If your partner leaves their job as a carer for you then they will not be sanctioned for UC. 

    If they are not currently claiming carers element then they can report a change of circumstances on their journal. Then click caring for someone and report caring for you. This will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.