Working and LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working and LCWRA

Options
Tachyonics
Tachyonics Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all,

I know that if I work and the reasons contradict LCWRA it'll go against me, Poppy was an absolute angel in answering that. I have noticed other people have had similar things and I've got an offer for an interview. I'm terrified if I go to it and get accepted, I'll lose my housing benefits and it'll all go wrong. Earlier this year, I had the rug pulled out from under me. I'm stable again, but part of me doesn't want to trust the DWP entirely with my financial security. A job would be something. I'm not well enough to work full time, my own disabilities hold me back as do my other responsibilities as a university student and a part-time carer for my grandmother.

Anyone who's claimed LCWRA and also done paid employment, please share your story of what happened, how did the DWP react? What happened ultimately? All I get are news notifications about them cracking down and tightening the belt.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You mention claiming housing benefit but you’re claiming UC. You will only be claiming housing benefit if you live in either temporary or supported housing. Otherwise you rent will be paid as part of UC known as housing element. They are 2 completely different benefits.

There are people that work while claiming LCWRA without any issues. It would be helpful if you know which descriptor you qualified for LCWRA with and then it will be easier to know if the reasons why you were awarded LCWRA would contradict it by working. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tachyonics
    Options
    Hey Poppy, terminology confusion.

I meant the housing element for UC, got tongue tied. My apologies.
  • Tachyonics
    Options
    I'm perfectly fine with taking the reduction in UC if I'm earning more than the cap. If I'm well enough to work enough for that cap to breached, then I am finally doing something right with this body of mine. I just don't want them thinking I am that well all the time. My physical disability compounds my mental one, I get tired of being in pain all the time. My capacity for work is limited, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try when my health is doing a little better.
  • carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    I am selling a few craft items online.  I am LCWRA.  I just did a change of circumstances on my journal and got on with it.

However I am constantly freaking out it could against me at a reassessment.  I am substantial risk but I don't know what would be considered a contradiction of that.  I am a bit baffled by that.

I think if I was working and it 100% did not contradict why I was signed off.  Then I would do it and not worry.

I've lost the pleasure of making things now because of the WCA anxiety it causes.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There’s no earnings cap. You will have the work allowance which will be £379/month because you’re claiming help with the rent. 

This means you can receive that amount of money each month without it affecting your UC. For every £1 over that amount your UC will reduce by 55p. This is the taper rate which is set at 55%. 

How much you can earn before entitlement reduces to zero will depend on what your maximum UC entitlement is. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.