Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Uk pulling out of ECHR

Options
Rumi
Rumi Community member, Scope Member Posts: 5,575 Pioneering
What can people do to prevent this as it could affect every single one of us?

Comments

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 521 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, it's totally incredible! I can hear Churchill turning over in his grave.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Pull out we must. We are still tied to Europe with this unelected court.
    Much better that we go back to the Magna Carta and develop our own bill of rights so that no one can interfere with our justice system anymore.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 521 Pioneering
    Options
    Much better that we go back to the Magna Carta and develop our own bill of rights so that no one can interfere with our justice system anymore.

We are not still tied at all, the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU. It actually enables us to make complaints about injustice within the EU. That's the trouble, a lot of people in Britain are blinkered as the first word is European. It was launched in  1950 as the Council of Europe to help protect people's human rights and fundamental freedoms. It has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    It will very likely not happen. It's gammon meat aimed at placating people who don't or understand reality (whether it's other Tory politicians or members of the public like @2oldcodgers).
    JessieJ said:
    It actually enables us to make complaints about injustice within the EU. That's the trouble, a lot of people in Britain are blinkered as the first word is European. It was launched in  1950 as the Council of Europe to help protect people's human rights and fundamental freedoms. It has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union.
    and also goes to show how people are easily absorbed by political propaganda and would proudly support their own rights being removed. anyone who believes Westminster parties will protect the human rights of poor, sick and marginalised people lacks basic political knowledge.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Magna Carta was not intended to be a great charter of rights for all people, but designed by the barons to ensure that their rights were protected against the king's power. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The ECHR pre-dated the EU it was set up by Churchill (amongst others) before the 1953 treat of Rome, the left wing of the Tory party will never allow Sunak to take us put of the ECHR

2024 Election won

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Stellar can we please be careful not to give in to name calling. 

Just a reminder to read our Community house rules
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Of course human rights need protecting, but a 70 year old charter is being abused and we can’t house the world. Europe also realises this and are in the same mess we are in. I can’t get a dentist, hospital appointment or social care unless I pay. Why? because there are just too many people here, all needing services. We do need immigration, managed by skill sets, but not this uncontrolled fiasco. What is a country without its borders? As my old dad always said, ‘Life is a cake; cut the slices too thin and it crumbles’  Not everyone will agree with me, but that’s how I see it. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    ladyluck said:
    Of course human rights need protecting, but a 70 year old charter is being abused and we can’t house the world. Europe also realises this and are in the same mess we are in. I can’t get a dentist, hospital appointment or social care unless I pay. Why? because there are just too many people here, all needing services. We do need immigration, managed by skill sets, but not this uncontrolled fiasco. What is a country without its borders? As my old dad always said, ‘Life is a cake; cut the slices too thin and it crumbles’  Not everyone will agree with me, but that’s how I see it. 
    Your last sentence sums it up for me, I don't and never will agree, there are 7 billion plus people in the world are you suggesting they all want to come and live here?  You can get an NHS dentist it just takes some effort and leg work, but you still have to pay, you can get a hospital appointment I've had 3 this year.
    As for borders we are an Island but the problem is we have a govt. incapable of controlling it.

2024 Election won

• ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Hi woodbine, sorry but I disagree, as you obviously don’t live where I do. I’ was waiting for a consultants appointment for almost 11 months, after fighting for a doctors appointment for several months, 14 weeks to get a bone scan then 22 weeks to get the  bone scan results. My dentist went private two years ago and I have been trying for an alternative in that time, to no avail.  Comparing your location with mine, a vastly overcrowded urban city, is not really an answer, is it? My doctor has an increase in patients of hundreds, he told me that himself. The quickest people  who looked after me were the chest x ray guys, they were very good and recalled me quickly for a second exam within weeks when they saw the extent and severity of my problems. So being fairly  newly disabled, I’m very disappointed with the slow pace in being seen. And it’s down to increased numbers needing attention in every single department. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    The answer to that is that you don't know where I live, the pressures on the NHS have not been caused mainly by immigration but nurses and doctors battling for fair pay.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/how-to-find-an-nhs-dentist/

2024 Election won

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 517 Pioneering
    Options

The only time I see it conflicting with what we trying to do is when we are trying to erode human rights.

The latest one being the soon to be spying on bank accounts (which the opposition abstained on stating they support the bill). 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.