If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Electric wheelchair

Options
eayneish
eayneish Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi all, my son 

Comments

• eayneish
    Options
    Hi all, my son (19 yr Old) has Down Syndrome and has to use a wheelchair as he has issues with hi
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Championing
    Options
    Hello @eayneish

Welcome to the community :) I am sorry your posts have gotten caught up in our spam filter! How can we help? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • eayneish
    Options
    Hi Hannah
    My son has a wheelchair that we bought for him. He has Down Syndrome and a displaced hip. We have been trying to get him an electric wheelchair as he's getting bigger and we're not getting younger.  He's been turned down for one as "he doesn't need one inside the family home"??  This makes no sense to me at all.  Can anyone help?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Championing
    Options
    Hello @eayneish

Can I ask, who was it that said he didn't need one? Their GP / Medical team or did they have a needs assessment? If they haven't had a needs assessment, I'd encourage you to have a look at that option. They can help from adaptations to equipment. 

Scope also has an information page on How to get a wheelchair that you may find helpful to read :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • eayneish
    Options
    Hi Hannah,
    I'm not sure who exactly said this as his mum and I do not live together and she has been trying to deal with it without any success. It has been mentioned that our local OT dept has been involved so I will check. The links to "how to get a wheelchair" are very useful and I need to find out if he's has the formal assessment done or not.  Will post more when I know.
    Thanks 
  • eayneish
    Options
    Hi all an update of sorts. Having spoken with my son's mum it seems the comment on him not being eligible for an electric wheelchair was made by MK occupational therapy. He has not had nor been offered a wheelchair assessment. I have urged my ex to push for this but is there a formal route? Also, considering the situation I wonder if any members can offer advice on affordable chairs with the facility to have the controls mounted to the rear of the chair? If I have to I will save the money from my PIP.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.