If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lana007! DWP asking for bank statements. Will they ask for my credit card too?

Options
2»

Comments

• TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 269 Pioneering
    Options
    @Lana007 Yeap, it sounds like really insignificant amounts, and probably a random check. Apparently the person you mentioned Lana007 wrote: "I have since been told by someone who has had this review that it's a horrendous experience they go through every transaction" had it all wrong and made you worry sick. 

Its obvious from you posts you have nothing to hide. I doubt it will be more that 20 minutes tops.

Hopefully the person you asked last, is more credible from the first one. But you will help a lot letting us know how it went.

Good luck.

• Lana007
    Lana007 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    @TheManFromLondon
    I will definitely post as soon as I have had my call and let everyone know. It sounds like this person was trying to scare me which a bit mean but who knows. There seems to be alot of different experiences with this, some say it's ok some say it's awful. I would have there would a process which all the case reviewing personnel would have to follow. But it's the DWP they seem to do as they wish 
  • Lana007
    Options
    @TheManFromLondon
    I had my UC review claim and can confirm the following;
    I was asked name and address and my living situation as I'm who lives with me.
    Then I was asked about any other health conditions I may not have reported and to update my journal when I get the results/diagnosis from my last appointment.
    If I was doing any courses on line.
    Any other benefits I may receive.
    Any other sources of income as in spousal/insurance/pension/
    Annuity/trust fund and PayPal.
    How many bank accounts I have 
    Do I have the following accounts
    Savings/post office/credit union/national savings/bonds/ISA/peps/sale. of house/trust/Monzo or crypto
    Then went through a few transactions on my bank statements as in- who are "name" explained it's my mortgage and then I was asked about service charges who I pay them to and how much.
    Then I was asked about a £200 payment in which I explained was a birthday present and also a £250 transaction out to my daughter and back in which again I explained was for some concert tickets she wanted but couldn't get.
    And a couple of £50 transactions to my daughter which I explained were for food shopping.
    It was half an hour and I was told no further evidence was needed, all was well and my journal would be updated and another would take place in a year or so. 
    It was not an interrogation in anyway and I was put at ease. 

• TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 269 Pioneering
    Options
    @Lana007
    Thank you for this, it is extremely helpful for anyone who will have to go through this process. Very detailed post and surely makes me relaxed when this will come my way. Happy for you, you went through it, its over, and all is well.
  • Lana007
    Options
    @TheManFromLondon
    Thank you.
    I am hoping it will take the worry out or not cause as much worry for those that have this coming up. 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience @Lana007, I'm sure many people will find it comforting to read that it wasn't too bad :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Stay
    Stay Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hello Everyone please help me about my claim.I just uploaded my Statements of last 4 months.I am wondering what they are looking for?i used my balance transfer credit card which is 11k Its showing on the statement.And borrowed some money from friends and family.What i dont understand is will this efect my uc? We had some huge Out goings last 2 months Chritsmas Shopping kids broke it Tv we buy new tv i applied british citizen cost me 3k.exc..
    Everything showing on the statment where i spend.Please can some one help me what do i need do.?will this 11k be prblem? Please help
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you transferred the 11k from you card to your bank account then it could be a problem if it took you over the capital limits for UC, did you at anytime have more than £6k in your account?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Stay
    Options
    No i never had a money more than 6k any time because i am spending its showing on the statements.But this 11k is not savings or anything i am have mental health problems.I was need a money for my British application for chritsmas shoping for my kids Tv kids tablet what can i do ?  This is the loan i will pay them back :-( 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Stay said:
    No i never had a money more than 6k any time because i am spending its showing on the statements.But this 11k is not savings or anything
    I'm confused. You said you transferred £11k to your bank account but then said you never had more than £6k at anytime. If the £11k wasn't savings, then what exactly was it?

For UC what counts is what you have in total on the last day of each assessment period. If you had £11k in your bank at some point then yes they will likely ask questions about this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Stay
    Options
    Stay said:
    No i never had a money more than 6k any time because i am spending its showing on the statements.But this 11k is not savings or anything
    I'm confused. You said you transferred £11k to your bank account but then said you never had more than £6k at anytime. If the £11k wasn't savings, then what exactly was it?

For UC what counts is what you have in total on the last day of each assessment period. If you had £11k in your bank at some point then yes they will likely ask questions about this.

I think you lost me.This 11 k was Credit card Loan Balance Transfer.I am paying back monthly this is not savings or anythink.When i take that 11k i spent 6k straight away in 2 weeks.and A lots of people says you can use your credit card as much as you like.is this right?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Stay said:
    Stay said:

I think you lost me.This 11 k was Credit card Loan Balance Transfer.I am paying back monthly this is not savings or anythink.When i take that 11k i spent 6k straight away in 2 weeks.and A lots of people says you can use your credit card as much as you like.is this right?

A loan is still treated as capital. Using your credit card to pay for items is completely different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Stay
    Options
    Okey what will
    happend they will take some money from that month? Or will they take from
    next months?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Stay said:
    Okey what will
    happend they will take some money from that month? Or will they take from
    next months?
    You just need to be honest and tell them what happened. They will see the money you had in your statements anyway if it was within the 4 month period they are asking for. 

If you had more than £6,000 at anytime on the last day of your assessment period then you should have reported the changes. If there’s an overpayment it will need to be repaid back. 

For every £250 or part thereof over £6,000 there’s a £4.35/month deduction in your UC. 
  • Stay
    Options
    I will tell the honest of course.I used to shopping for kids and we borrowed some money when i was in hospital from friends and family we buy new tv we pay around 3k to home office everything on the statements there is no hiding in come or anything.If they ask me i will tell them the life is not easy to live with 2 kids wife mental health problems without work.What can i do ? I decided to use my Loan.i will let the decision soon.Over here to you thanks for your help.
  • ella1992
    ella1992 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
    Options
    Can anybody advice me dwp haven't ask us yet but I have a feeling there going to my partner gambles and I can't stop buying things on clearpay and klarna I live on and couple of times iv sold things on vinted but that money has gone on food to eat for us my partner has won couple of times but nothing over 300 but mainly when he wins he buys food again for ua to eat I think this is wrong what dwp are doing I bet there bank account aren't being checked 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 333 Pioneering
    edited January 1
    Options
    ella1992 said:
    Can anybody advice me dwp haven't ask us yet but I have a feeling there going to my partner gambles and I can't stop buying things on clearpay and klarna I live on and couple of times iv sold things on vinted but that money has gone on food to eat for us my partner has won couple of times but nothing over 300 but mainly when he wins he buys food again for ua to eat I think this is wrong what dwp are doing I bet there bank account aren't being checked 
    Two million of these checks are being undertaken, UC claims sit at around 5 million so while the plan doesn't cover asking everyone, it'll be a fair percentage. 

No one knows whether or not your claim will be selected, if it is then a message will be put onto your Journal and you will have to provide what they ask for. The most commonly requested things are ID and 4 months of bank statements.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit-reviews

I see I replied to you last month, I think the gov.uk page is new, but other than that the previous answers still apply. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.