UC and CA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and CA

justmeandthee
justmeandthee Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Hi.

I have just moved to a different local authority and had to claim UC. 
I wrote a note on my journal before I submitted the claim to advise that I receive CA, PIP and SDP so I believe I should have a transitional protection element. 

Received a message from them today and they have said I will probably get a single rate and housing costs and that I have told them I'm a carer.

I've written another note stating I should have the Carer element and TP. Is this correct as it's all new to me and I've tried to read through some threads for answers. 

The only person who lives with me is my son who is a student but recieves PIP (high rate of both components) He doesn't claim any other benefits. 

I don't want to put myself through the process of claiming the LCWRA as I have recently got to tribunal to win my PIP award and the stress was very hard on my mental health. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Which benefit did you transfer from?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • justmeandthee
    Income support. 
    Sorry thought I'd been thorough but totally missed that one. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you will be entitled to the SDP TP, which for you will be £313.79/month because your UC doesn't include the LCWRA element. Please be aware that this will erode over time so when other elements increases the TP decreases, until such a time it will erode completely. This means that when benefits increase in April 2024 then your total UC entitlement will remain the same.

Your UC should also include the carers element but you need to make sure you report being a carer because receiving Carers Allowance, they don't automatically include the carers element. Your Carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement, which will be £332.58/month.

As for the LCWRA then you will need a work capability assessment for this, as you're aware. However, because your UC will include the SDP TP and carers element, then at the moment there will be no financial gain even if found to have LCWRA because of the decrease in the TP. Also if found to have LCWRA then your carers element will end because the same person can't receive both elements at the same time. The higher element will always be paid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • justmeandthee
    Thank you very much Poppy.
    That's a detailed explanation and much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.