Hi, my name is Mowatt1! Can I get a stair lift in my 2nd story flat? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mowatt1! Can I get a stair lift in my 2nd story flat?

Options
Mowatt1
Mowatt1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I live in a two storey flat and have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and struggle with walking for long periods of time and struggle a little with the stairs, is there a remedy for lifts in the stair well of a two storey building? It’s a wide staircase with railing on the outside and none on the inside and I was thinking it may be possible to get a chair lift that goes up two levels ( 4 sets of stairs)? Anyone in similar circumstances ? 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Mowatt1 and welcome to the community! I hope you're keeping well today?

We've got a few chair lift users in the community, so what I'm going to do is move your post and rename it, so more people in the know will be able to see it and hopefully offer some top advice.  I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    Options

@Mowatt1

Sorry to hear about your mobility challenges, especially in dealing with numerous stairs. A stairlift would certainly make life easier. Consider getting in touch with your property management or landlord to investigate potential exceptions or alternatives outlined in the lease agreement. 

Modifying common areas in leasehold flats can be a complex process, but there could be room for negotiation to secure a reasonable accommodation. If permission is granted, keep in mind that you may have to cover installation costs, in addition to the maintenance and upkeep of the equipment. 

If an agreement is reached, ensure to clarify the terms before proceeding with any installations. Also, be mindful that some landlords may request you to cover the removal costs of the equipment and address any damage to walls resulting from uninstallation if you decide to leave the property.

• Mowatt1
    Options
    I own the flat so no need for permission but I do have others in the building I’d have to consider, I just wondered if anyone had a similar issue and managed to get a chair lift put in over two floors which would be 4 flights of stairs? 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    Options

@Mowatt1

I am aware that stairlifts are available for installations covering a single flight of stairs, such as from the ground floor to the first-floor landing in a block of flats. However, for installations over several flights of stairs, it is advisable to consult with the stairlift manufacturer for specific information. 

While you own flat is demised to you, it is essential to note that if you are not the freeholder of the building, obtaining permission from the landlord is a crucial step in the process. The common areas of the building are typically under the jurisdiction of the landlord, and their approval is necessary for such modifications.

As the leaseholder, I would recommended you initiate a conversation with the landlord regarding the installation of a stairlift. The landlord may seek the opinions of other leaseholders and may require a comprehensive risk assessment (which you may have to pay for) before granting permission. This process ensures that the installation aligns with the safety and consensus of all parties involved. 

I've witnessed cases where leaseholders faced complications due to unauthorised alterations. I genuinely understand the challenges that stairs may pose for you, and a stair lift would undeniably offer a practical solution. I'm mentioning all the above because I wouldn't want to see you encounter legal issues simply for choosing such a sensible solution.

• Mowatt1
    Options
    Thanks for your input,and yes I would seek the right and correct permissions😊this goes without saying 😊.The issue is more if it can be done over two floors . I shall look into it more. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.