Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

DWP surveillance, anyone else anxious?

Options
bbt
bbt Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
I’ve recently heard that the DWP are going to start monitoring peoples bank accounts without needing permission or proof of fraud; apparently they’ll be looking out for people who have more savings than is allowed on UC and people who send money overseas, neither of which are things I need to worry about, but the idea of my bank account being spied on gives me the worst feeling 😖

I feel like I won’t be able to buy anything non-essential without feeling like a criminal, if my partner uses my account for the odd gamble (which he does so we can keep an eye on his spending and make sure he’s being safe,) or if I buy a new top, I’d be worried about an agent knocking my door down. 

Is anyone else worried about this? Or better yet can anyone reassure me, I’m really anxious about all this. My worst fear is innocent people being wrongly flagged up for fraud
Tagged:

Comments

• JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 134 Courageous
    Options
    As I understand it, how and on what you spend your welfare payments on is not of any concern to the DWP - obeying the savings/capital regulations is, however, a mandatory requirement. Evidently, too many overseas payments would also be a red flag. 

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,898 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @bbt I understand your worry, but yes it is just to make sure there's no funny goings on with transfers overseas and such.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the DWP being able to check on peoples spending whenever they want, but I understand they want to cut down on that 1% of benefit fraud.  :D
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,689 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Yes, this causes me a lot of anxiety as well.

I read another members experience with all the checks on here yesterday, including having to send in months of bank statements and then go through a phone call to justify various outgoings.  It's made me more anxious than before!  I suppose it's not so bad for people without anxiety or for those that can manage social situations effectively.

I'm also fed up of reading that we can spend the money on whatever we want.  It's simply not true.  The deprivation of capital regs are specifically there to prohibit that! 

Even for backpay, with the 12 month disregard, the DWP investigators can still decide that you've spent that in a way that deprives you of capital before the disregard ends.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,844 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There has been much discussion about this on here, and the general conclusion has been in two parts 1) nothing to hide nothing to worry about 2) you are allowed to spend your benefits in any way you want.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,898 Scope online community team
    Options
    @bbt if you wanted to read more about what our community have had to say, plus the official statement from Scope, I recommend checking out this post.  Hopefully it'll help ease your worries. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • bbt
    bbt Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, thank you all for your comments! I got myself into a bit of a panic over this so I appreciate the reassurance.

I’m quite an overly anxious and paranoid person as it is, and even though I have nothing to hide and know I’m claiming benefits fairly, I can’t help but worry that I’ll somehow get flagged! It’s similar to the feeling of panicking when a police car goes past, even though you logically know you did absolutely nothing wrong, if that makes sense to anyone 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 496 Pioneering
    edited December 2023
    Options
    A lot of articles dont seem to have much info and have even speculated it is already law, I found this article.

Which links to

The second one reads as there is a proper understanding of whats going on.

So it isnt law yet, but has already been voted for by parliament, Labour abstained saying they support the bill, so now only the house of lords is the barrier.

There isnt full details of what exactly will be checked, and what types of activity, but there is statements in the article claiming it will be limited information (at least initially), and they focusing on people not declaring resources they claim to not have, so likely will be checking bank savings as well as income, or any type of activity which indicates resources available elsewhere.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.