Christmas Narc? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Narc?

Options
Blitzgreen
Blitzgreen Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Kindly share your thoughts on this image.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,849 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My thoughts are it looks quite pretty and someone is very lucky

No idea on the politics or reverse snobbery

I am not overly keen on the wallpaper
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I see 5 stockings in the picture on the right so 5 people in that property. For this reason that amount of presents isn't as much as you think it is. Wallpaper not my style....

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I just see a mother doing her very best for her family. It doesn’t have to be new it’s the thrill of opening. 

Not keen on the wallpaper. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am also not keen on the wallpaper :D

In my opinion, social media is a way for people to share their life, almost like having a public diary. I see a lot of social media posts like this. I think it becomes another way for people to judge how others spend their money.

I know many parents who go "all out" at Christmas and fill their living rooms with presents. But they don't spend outside their means. Some save because they don't celebrate birthdays, or they don't eat out in the year, or don't go on holiday. They may go to charity shops or buy second hand like the poster above has said.

I think unless you have had to budget, you don't realise how far your money can go. Meaning many assume that lots has been spent.

I go all out for the children in my family at Christmas. But I wait until the offers come round with Black Friday and use websites like Pound Fun or Toys for a Pound. Go to shops like Home Bargains and B&Ms where the prices are better because they buy in bigger bulk. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Blitzgreen
    Blitzgreen Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Interesting thank you, now a little more information,
    The unnamed 5 stockings are for decoration sake, 2 adults one child live there, 95% of the presents are for the child.
    The Facebook post about all the presents being second hand and only spending £200 is not true, the actual total spent is £1000+. 
    I can tell you that the child wasn't "thrilled" to open so many presents, in fact got bored and the mother laughed there were still unopened presents still on the 27th.
    The mother claimed she "couldn't afford new" but mid November boasted that she got PIP and over £2000 backpay, continued to update me on spending it and at least half was spent on presents alone.
    Yes the wallpaper was from wilkos £15 a roll, before that it was just red painted walls.

Now knowing more information how does that change how you think about it?

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Still don’t like the wallpaper. Or red walls 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Where the wallpaper is from doesn't change my mind, i still don't like it. What a person does with their money is entirely their decision. If they want to spoil their children then so be it, it's their choice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 496 Pioneering
    Options
    Interesting thank you, now a little more information,
    The unnamed 5 stockings are for decoration sake, 2 adults one child live there, 95% of the presents are for the child.
    The Facebook post about all the presents being second hand and only spending £200 is not true, the actual total spent is £1000+. 
    I can tell you that the child wasn't "thrilled" to open so many presents, in fact got bored and the mother laughed there were still unopened presents still on the 27th.
    The mother claimed she "couldn't afford new" but mid November boasted that she got PIP and over £2000 backpay, continued to update me on spending it and at least half was spent on presents alone.
    Yes the wallpaper was from wilkos £15 a roll, before that it was just red painted walls.

Now knowing more information how does that change how you think about it?

I have never used any social media platforms but I think the point of it is that people share what is happening in their personal life. It seems the person who posted was excited about Christmas and wanted to share their joy in completing their Christmas shopping. However, I firmly believe that how people choose to spend their money is a personal decision. In today's society, there's a tendency to be excessively judgmental, a sentiment that concerns me. 

The trend of over-scrutinising is seeping into every aspect of our lives. I encountered a frustrating experience at the bank last week, having to schedule an appointment to access my own funds. Throughout the process, I felt interrogated about my preference for using cash rather than bank transfers for Christmas gifts to friends and family. This only reinforces my belief that personal spending choices should be respected without unnecessary scrutiny. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas regardless of how they fund it.

• THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    I say spend your money on what brings you joy. This clearly makes the mum happy.  The kid is going to find something in the presents that they're going to like. 

Might take the Christmas after this one to open them all though lol

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.