Uc rent getting paid — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uc rent getting paid

Options
madmax1990
madmax1990 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I know if you have over 6000 in savings it effects your uc claim and if you have over 16,000 you can’t get uc.

but housing benefit you was aloud 16,000 in savings then they changed it to uc. Can you still get rent paid fully if your rent is £420 month and you have 10,000 in savings as it’s under 16,000. Or do they deduct the 250 £1 every over 6000?because carers allowance you can have with any savings. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,694 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    For working age people £16,000 is the maximum amount you're allowed in savings, anything over this then entitlement to all means tested benefits end. It's been this amount for many many years.

Or do they deduct the 250 £1 every over 6000?because carers allowance you can have with any savings. 
    That's the deduction for the old legacy benefits such as housing benefit. For UC because it's a monthly benefit, not weekly then the deduction is £4.35/month for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. A deduction will mean your whole UC entitlement will be reduced and not just part of it.

For council tax reduction all local Authorities have their own rules and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends.

Carers allowance isn't means tested so savings do not affect it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • madmax1990
    Options
    For working age people £16,000 is the maximum amount you're allowed in savings, anything over this then entitlement to all means tested benefits end. It's been this amount for many many years.

But if I have savings of a family members in my bank and it goes over 16 k total am I still aloud to claim? If I have 6 k and 8 k of 2 family members because I’m the carer and they had back pay from pip. So I am holding there money, can I claim uc? If I have 25 k in bank 14 k there’s and 13 k mine? 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2023
    Options
    As you have access to that money then it's classed as yours, especially if it's in a bank account in your name only. You can't just claim a means tested benefit when you have more than £16,000. If you have £14k of their's and £13K of yours then that's £27k and not £25k.

May i ask why you have their money in your bank account? Shouldn't they have their own bank account and then these issues wouldn't arise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In your other thread you mentioned owning a £30k car, as advised in that thread, it's not counted as capital. See your thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/112931/if-i-have-a-30-000-car-can-i-claim-uc#latest

Are you currently claiming UC?

• madmax1990
    Options
    Are you currently claiming UC?

No im not claiming uc but looking in to claiming as i just lost my job. But I don’t think i can claim. And because they got back paid and they wanted me to look after it for them. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    With savings of more than £16,000 you won't be able to claim UC, which also means no help with any rent. You can look at claiming New style JSA which isn't means tested but whether there's any entitlement will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. 

However, if you're also claiming carers allowance then this is classed as an overlapping benefit with the JSA and both can't be paid in full at the same time. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/overlapping-benefits This means you'll only be better off by £8.05/week. (assuming you're at least 25)

• madmax1990
    Options
    With savings of more than £16,000 you won't be able to claim UC, which also means no help with any rent. You can look at claiming New style JSA which isn't means tested but whether there's any entitlement will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. 

However, if you're also claiming carers allowance then this is classed as an overlapping benefit with the JSA and both can't be paid in full at the same time. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/overlapping-benefits This means you'll only be better off by £8.05/week. (assuming you're at least 25)

I think it’s weird how if you have over 16 k in savings you can’t get rent but can get carers allowance. My rent is £650 a month so in 2 years it would be nearly £14,000 I lose. 
    But if I have 20 k I can buy a car for 20 k then claim rent ? Doesn’t seem right to me. The way they have done it is backwards. 
    I will lose out now on rent being paid and I have left my job. To go on carers allowance 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Help with the rent is through UC so no, with savings of more than £16k you can't claim it. Carers allowance isn't means tested for savings or capital and never has been.

Once your savings go below £16,000 then you can claim UC but there will be a deduction for any savings of more than £6k. Your carers allowance will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.