Hi, my name is Jackies! Looking to sort some guidance to write a letter to the LEA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jackies! Looking to sort some guidance to write a letter to the LEA

Options
Jackies
Jackies Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 26 in Education
Looking to sort some guidance to write a letter to the LEA 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Jackies

Welcome to the community! :) 

Just wanted to confirm, do you mean the Local Education Authority when you say LEA? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Jackies
    Options
    Yes we are looking for torfean LEA
    My son his deaf 15 years of age and has been refusing to wear his aids. We've had my son tested for  dyslexica and has been diagnosed with dyslexia, he suffers with asthma and recently been diagnosed with scoliosis ( his mental health is not the best at present and has been run down. He has been suffering with tonsillitis on and off his school attendance is 90% his school have sent an email to say he is being watch to be honest we believe it is a threatening email which we are not happy about.

He has been tested previously and confirm he had a positive result for CMV which is the casue of his hearing loss _ I believe this is reason for his learning abilities,  dyslexia, however, we have always believed he has adhd. He is our world wind as never sits still.

He struggles with reading, writing, memory very forgetful, behaviour issues. 
    He is one of 5 children, he is our 4th child he is difficult child with a heart  as big as the world.  Our other children are all well educated with no issues. We have hit a wall and want our son to be put on to a statement for his benefit, to get the right help and support but also we need help to get him tested for ADHD.
    Our sons Paediatrician's has been on sick leave for 18mths and has not been seen too. 

• MissKitty1973
    MissKitty1973 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @jackies I am assuming you are wishing your son to be assessed to see if he meets the needs for an EHCP if you look on the IPSEA website there is a wealth of information on there and will explain the process, you can make a parental application yourself as I did for my 16 year old who has complex needs.  From initial application to having his final EHCP plan issued by the LA it took 20 weeks.

The lawful bar to an Education, Health, and Care needs assessment is very low
    MAY have SEND
    AND
    MAY be necessary for special educational provision to be made in accordance with an EHC plan.

If you believe your child meets the lawful bar then you can apply yourself, IPSEA has a template on their which you can adapt yourself.

Email it to the director of service using any evidence that you have such as reports, diagnosis letters etc.

State
    What’s working
    What is not working
    What worked but has stopped
    What hasn’t been tried
    Your aspirations for your child
    Your child’s aspirations

Give a rounded view.

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jackies Here is the website hope it helps.

https://www.ipsea.org.uk
  • Jackies
    Options
    Thank you both wishing you a merry Christmas and Happy New year  xx
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year @Jackies Take care.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.